Q & A #1

Michael Brown

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. You can't see each other's responses, but so far everyone has stated what they thought was going on, but nobody has actually "reported" what they saw the way they would in their reports. The point of the exercise is to help others learn to identify deficiencies and report them in a way that will ensure they've done right by their clients, while at the same time accurately documenting what they saw in their report. Part of that equation is also correctly referring the issue to others, when necessary, for follow-up as appropriate.

So, how about writing it the same way that you would in your report? With input from others, by the time each photo's thread has run its course folks should have learned at least how to describe the issue and report it several ways.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

(I have to qualify that I've never seen one of these puppies in person, and it's hard to get a good grip from one picture, but here goes)

There is rust and corrosion inside the gas furnace. This is likely due to condensation that is not draining properly. I recommend further evaluation by a licensed HVAC contractor, during your inspection period, because the cost of repairs could be several hundred dollars.

"The furnace has water coming out of the tubular heat exchanger into the burner compartment; this is completely unacceptable & indicates some serious defect in the system. All of the (6) tubes were badly rusted, water was actively running out of the heat exchanger, and there was water standing in the bottom of the combustion chamber. The AC condensate pan & drain are BELOW the heat exchanger, so the AC is not the source of the water. What all this means is that there is a major problem w/ the furnace, & I don’t know what it is without dismantling the entire system to determine the source of the water & why it is on the interior of the heat exchanger tube.

I did not fire the furnace to test the heat mode due to the above problem(s). Have a licensed heating contractor reinspect the furnace to determine the cause & source of the water and provide repairs. Given the visible condition of the heat exchanger, & the water coming out from “insideâ€

Many thanks to those who participated. Now that I've turned off moderation you can see each others' responses, and I've plastered Kurt's pretty mug in the member's spotlight for you all to swoon over.

Okay, some of you promised to send me gobs of photos, so we could keep this feature humming. However, so far, nobody's followed through. Come on guys and gals, I know you all find some interesting and challenging stuff out there. Let's let the others have a crack at figuring it out. E-mail me those photos!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike