Shake Roofs

Brandon Whitmore

Does anyone have a really good shake roof contractor that will work/ inspect in the Wilsonville/ Portland area. Also, I know that there are roofing consultants that will probably design repairs for old shake roofs-- anyone have any luck with them?

The problem:

I inspect a roof after I am told at the door that the roof was just repaired and given a 3-5 year roof cert. I look at it and say "wait a minute-- what about all of these improper and incomplete repairs?" I then proceed to tear the roof apart in my report after a roofer has just hacked, I mean repaired it.

That day I tell the Realtor to hire their own shake roof expert to evaluate the roof, and design necessary repairs. The buyer's roofer shows up at 4 pm the next day, after the sellers refuse to let anyone on- site sooner. The buyers roofer sees the original roofing contractor back up on the roof at 4:30 pm still working on the roof (I assume all day). Buyer's roofer refuses to look at the roof, because he does not want to get involved.

Now the buyers want me to re- inspect the roof. I told the buyer's agent that it is my company policy that I will no longer re- inspect shake roofs, since every time I do so I find several other issues. Her problem is that her roofer (only one she had) now won't look at the house.

Sorry-- this post is half for venting, and half for a referral for a great roofer.

Every friggin' time I inspect a shake roof I find issues..............

I inspect a roof after I am told at the door that the roof was just repaired and given a 3-5 year roof cert.

Translation to buyer - You need a new roof.

What does the buyer want? Your inspection is not a warranty. The buyer has only two options, take the 5 year warranty from the roofer making the repair, or install a new roof with a longer term warranty. And incidently the CCB's interpretation of a 3 - 5 year cert is that it's a 5 year water tight warranty regardless of any disclaimers by the roofer.

Chris, Oregon

And incidently the CCB's interpretation of a 3 - 5 year cert is that it's a 5 year water tight warranty regardless of any disclaimers by the roofer.

Chris,

That's music to my ears. Is that in writing somewhere by chance? Please............[:-thumbu]

All of the roof cert's I have seen say something along the lines of "XYZ Roofing Company warrants that all repairs performed by us will last a min. of 3-5 years, or.... in our opinion, the roof material will last at least 3-5 more years" I can't say I've ever read one where they took full ownership of the roof. Other warranties flat out state that if leaks occur, they will fix the cause, but water damage is on the homeowner.

Other warranties flat out state that if leaks occur, they will fix the cause, but water damage is on the homeowner.

That may not seem fair at first glance, but they would otherwise be on the hook for unforseen future freakish storm damage, dingbat owners, and other stuff completely out of their control. In other words, everything and not just their own work. Still, I could see a really good company offering to pay for damage, or part thereof, if it was obviously their fault, but even those would have to cover their behinds with disclaimers. And, in reality, how many of those companies do we have left?

Is that in writing somewhere by chance? Please

No, I don't have it in writing. I got it from the horses mouth that got taken to the CCB for writing a roof cert on a 15 year old shake roof ( I think he got tagged three years after writing the cert). It was more than five years ago when I talked to him about it. The CCB publishes complaints that result in action, but I don't know how far back they go.

I know of no standards with respect to certifying roofs. That alone should tell you something.

Chris, Oregon

Does anyone have a really good shake roof contractor that will work/ inspect in the Wilsonville/ Portland area. Also, I know that there are roofing consultants that will probably design repairs for old shake roofs-- anyone have any luck with them?

Stan Robinson, PacWest Roofing 503 635-8706. However, he doesn't like to get involved in these kinds of real estate transaction wars either. I don't blame him.

I've also seen some very nice repairs and maintenance work done by Roof Life of Oregon. Their work always seems to be very sharp.

The problem:

I inspect a roof after I am told at the door that the roof was just repaired and given a 3-5 year roof cert. I look at it and say "wait a minute-- what about all of these improper and incomplete repairs?" I then proceed to tear the roof apart in my report after a roofer has just hacked, I mean repaired it.

Isn't that how it goes on practically every house where they say that?

That day I tell the Realtor to hire their own shake roof expert to evaluate the roof, and design necessary repairs. The buyer's roofer shows up at 4 pm the next day, after the sellers refuse to let anyone on- site sooner. The buyers roofer sees the original roofing contractor back up on the roof at 4:30 pm still working on the roof (I assume all day). Buyer's roofer refuses to look at the roof, because he does not want to get involved.

Probably the smartest decision he made that day.

Now the buyers want me to re- inspect the roof. I told the buyer's agent that it is my company policy that I will no longer re- inspect shake roofs, since every time I do so I find several other issues. Her problem is that her roofer (only one she had) now won't look at the house.

Sorry-- this post is half for venting, and half for a referral for a great roofer.

Every friggin' time I inspect a shake roof I find issues..............

Same here. In most cases, I just can't honestly recommend repairs. It's like spending money for heart surgery on a 15-year-old cat.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I understand your frustration with roof certs and cedar shake roofs in general. My experiences are often the same. It never fails, you are driving into the neighborhood and every other house on the block has a new roof, or their cedar looks well cared for and maintained, yet the one you are scheduled to inspect looks rough from the seat of your truck. Then you get up on it and find how lousy it is. And of course someone has issued a roof cert on it......ugh....

Thanks for all of the replies.

I got it from the horses mouth that got taken to the CCB for writing a roof cert on a 15 year old shake roof ( I think he got tagged three years after writing the cert).

Chris,

I was under the impression that the CCB would not get involved after the one year mark. I'm sure when it came down to it, most of these roofers would lose in small claims court. Most people just won't pursue it.

One more thing. How many of you measure shake exposure? I tend to find many shake roofs where they have an 11" + exposure on what I am guessing are 24" shakes (longest they make-- right?) This roof is yet another one of those. So even if the roofer makes repairs, the roof is not quite right; that is, unless the've changed their exposure standards, which I doubt.

How many of you measure shake exposure? I tend to find many shake roofs where they have an 11" + exposure on what I am guessing are 24" shakes (longest they make-- right?) This roof is yet another one of those. So even if the roofer makes repairs, the roof is not quite right; that is, unless the've changed their exposure standards, which I doubt.

Nope, no changes. Maximum exposure on a 4:12 and steeper roof for a standard 24-inch long shake is 10 inches and for an 18-inch shake it's 7-1/2-inches. However, if it's a 3/8-inch by 24-inch hand-split the maximum exposure is 7-1/2-inches.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike