Mould and Myths: New WHO document

Hello All:

In light of the information contained in the recent release (July, 2009) of the World Health Organization document titled: WHO guidelines for indoor air quality: dampness and mould, I have revised our State of Knowledge web discussion on the epidemiological aspects of the “toxic mouldâ€

Would this statement apply, for example, the underside(attic side) of the roof sheathing which has been stained due to poor ventilation? It has been my experience that most buyers, and realtors alike, as soon as the word stained, fungal growth, mold is mentioned, automatically wants the materials "remediated" or replaced. Usually doesn't matter if the condition that originally caused the staining has been remedied.

Here is the statement I am referring to;

"However, removal based on the mere fact of its presence, or based on nonspecific symptoms that are not related to mold exposure, is often not appropriate."

Kurt:

How much of that can I steal for distribution?

All of it or any part. Just use standard citations!

Rob:

Yeah, that would be appropriate - The quote you used is from Dr. Harriet Burge: Can Mold Be Safely Left Inside Walls? The Environmental Reporter, Vol. 3, No. 11, November 2005

Last week I found out that not only is Dr. Burge the Queen of Mycology, she also is an accomplished singer!

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell

Forensic Industrial Hygienist

www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG