Trex manual

Robert Jones

Sorry, I don't have the install guides for the original 5/4x6 stuff but I did build a few decks using it. I can assure you that 24" is not allowed. The current guide says 16" maximum for 5/4 x 6 and I'm 99.9% sure that was the original max. Even at 16" I found it too bouncy for my tastes and, after the first one, I went with 14" or less. The last two I did, including my own, are on 12" centers. I like solid.

I would think that 24" OC would make for a nice trampoline. [:-jump2]

Sorry, I don't have the install guides for the original 5/4x6 stuff but I did build a few decks using it. I can assure you that 24" is not allowed. The current guide says 16" maximum for 5/4 x 6 and I'm 99.9% sure that was the original max. Even at 16" I found it too bouncy for my tastes and, after the first one, I went with 14" or less. The last two I did, including my own, are on 12" centers. I like solid.

I would think that 24" OC would make for a nice trampoline. [:-jump2]

What Richard Said.

24 inches... Wow.

Hi Robert:

I am a representative of Trex and would like to comment on our required joist span.

Our joist span for the 5/4x6 material has always been 16" on center for a residential deck. The only product we manufacture that can span 24" on center is our 2x6 material. If you are installing on a diagonal, then the span would need to be reduced by 4". We also recommend that the joists are level and plumb and the Trex decking must span at least three joists.

If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Pat M

Trex Company