Gas Logs: Light 'Em or Not?

I'm curious as to whether many of you guys try to light gas logs or not. I know the Standards don't require it, but sometimes I can't help feeling a little lame when telling a client I didn't try to light 'em. I guess they're pretty much all the same, but the details do vary and aren't always there. I like my eyebrows, I want to keep my eyebrows, but I want to go as far as I can for my clients too. Is this something best avoided, or should I dig in and learn all the tricks?

Brian G.

Allergic to Scorched Flesh (Mine)

Hi Brian,

If it is a gas log set with a regulator and peizo ignitor for the pilot, I give my client a lesson in how to lite it and use the various controls. We have gas fireplaces in about half the houses we do here. Lots of times there is one in the living room and another in the family room. Every once in a while they'll have them in the master bedroom as well. If it is an ordinary gas log lighter without a regulator and nothing more than a shut-off valve, I won't attempt to light it, 'cuz I like my eyebrows too.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I light them on most houses, primarily because I also dislike scorched flesh; mine or my customers.

Since I am aware of what can happen, I take the usual precautions such as not having my face in the fireplace, staying to the side of the fireplace & reaching in, paying attention, etc. (One has to work hard to hurt themselves; it is almost always caused by inattentive behavior, not massive explosions.) I actually like it when they ignite w/ a VAROOOOM! The client then understands with minimal explanation.

"The fireplace @ the XYZ ignites explosively and could injure occupants of the house; have it reinstalled or repaired as necessary to mfg's. specifications so that this doesn't occur."

I have lost my eye brows but they grew back. I carry one of those long grill lighters they ony cost about 2 bucks. I also explain about the ventless logs, like you shold have a window open when lite. A CO detector in the room is also a must. If they are in good shape and I don't have trouble lighting them they make a good presentation. But Scott is right we don't have to light them and they can cause problems if you aren't careful. Your judgment I guess.

Bruce [:-eyebrow

I light 'em and like Bruce, carry a long grill lighter. I tell clients if they will be using the fireplace, to get them one or the long fireplace matches.

I've only burnt the hair off my arms once. It was an older home and I barely cracked the valve open and this baby was a friggin blow torch!![:-jump]

I then started turning it all the way up to show my clients how dangerous this particular unit was. Half way open and the flames were just inside the opening. They got the picture.

Sometimes when I expect wasp or other critters in the flue, I'll turn on the burner for about a minute and slowly open the flue. I've torched a few lively wasp this way. It kinda takes the fight out of 'em.

Donald

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Sometimes when I expect wasp or other critters in the flue, I'll turn on the burner for about a minute and slowly open the flue. I've torched a few lively wasp this way. It kinda takes the fight out of 'em.

The American Wasp Huggers Society will be on your doorstep tomorrow, you heartless fiend!

Brian G.

Vice-President

The American Wasp Haters Society