DIY Forum or Home Inspector Forum?

resqman

Seems of late there has been a rash of DIYers asking how they should take on some project. While an occasional DIYer asking a question is not particularly troublesome, the recent rash seems to be diverting the purpose of the forum. I participate here to interact with other professionals regarding my career and the home inspector profession, not to spoon feed the drooling masses through their weekend warrior dilemma.

Maybe if we all reply with statements about how they should be getting a permit, reviewing building code, interviewing licensed tradespeople, meeting with building department instead of answering their inane questions, they will give up and go away.

Is it just me? Am I being too territorial?

While I agree that this forum is for home inspection professionals, what is the downside of being nice and helpful? There are plenty of inane questions that we ask each other!!

The upside is that this forum becomes more well know, gets more hits, our names and opinions become more known, and we all benefit with increased exposure (and hopfully more calls for inspections!).

One more point is that more hits help to sell advertising for the owners of this site that we all love (Somebody has to pay for us to use this forum)!

I get more annoyed by companies that use this forum to post free ads about their products or services disguised as helpful posts!

A while back the same thing happened at JLC. The regular participants were divided on "chatting" with non building professionals. The debate spurred contentious conversation on the topic, divided the ranks and more time was spent ignoring (out loud) the DIY factor than discussing building issues.

My opinion then was that the DIY'ers questions often sparked excellent discussion and that's what it's all about.

I haven't changed my mind.

Hi,

I think there is some merit to what Steven says: I don't have my own website. However, I get quite a bit of work from folks who've read my comments here on TIJ, decided, "That's the guy I want to hire to inspect my home," and then tracked me down by googling me.

The pros over on my building science forum at JLC grouse about it when non-pros come on there as well. I tell them that if it bothers them, as soon as they realize it is a DIY'er asking for free advice to just sign off that thread and not to respond to it. Those who care to can respond, those who don't want to can ignore. That, in and of itself, sends a message.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Helping a homeowner or DIY'er is a great way to promote yourself and the profession. Sure, it can get old but what the heck. Just this year I can track three jobs from DIY'ers who could not solve their problems so they hired me to help them. This has resulted in several additional referrals of their children and friends who were buying homes.

And now the DIY movement has come full circle, the doers are researching before doing. They are aspiring to attain professional results by educating themselves by reaching out to professionals. We as regulars here are no different, just working on a different project. I thought educating home owners was what we as inspectors do.

Tom