Subterranean Termites--pictures added

We discovered a small mud pile on the concrete garage floor under the furnace, with a funny looking extension up over the wood sill. When we disturbed the pile and found small white critters, we sprayed it with Raid and went online to inform ourselves. Subterranean termites have entered.

One company came out and gave us an estimate for control (another company failed to show up). For $2500 they would drill holes, one foot apart, along the width of the garage, fill the holes with Termidor and soak the soil in the crawlspace along the same width. 30 day guarantee only for the area treated. Seems to us, termites could enter from another side.

Close inspection of the entire crawlspace reveals absolutely no other evidence of termites, no mud tubes, no rotten or blistered wood. There is also no water, no moisture, and no debris.

[?]: Can we ignore the problem? We are very concerned about chemicals

for some reason my picture showed up on the preview, but did not post. lack of experience, i'm sure.

I would not ignore this problem, i would recommended treatment. However, 2400 sounds like alot! I work with termite inspectors all the time, usually treatments are around half of that and they guarantee the work for a year after treatment. Also, beware of companies that use bait systems... The drilling method is the best, the treatments can last up to 20-30 years. If they got in one time, they will be back. Look around the exterior of the home for the siding touching soil, and heavy overgrowth.

For $2,400 I have to ask; How big is your garage! I would call several TC contractors. Start with the big boys Orkin, Terminix and call some local guys. I had my entire brick home on a slab treated. They drilled treatment holes every 2-3 feet, drilled my 15x18 concrete patio and drilled beside two toilets. It cost me $950.

The chemicals are safe as long as the job is done properly. I'm not a big fan of bait stations, but over the years they have made drastic improvements with them. You might also inquire about adding bait stations if the entire home is not treated.

I would not ignore this problem, i would recommended treatment. However, 2400 sounds like alot! I work with termite inspectors all the time, usually treatments are around half of that and they guarantee the work for a year after treatment. Also, beware of companies that use bait systems... The drilling method is the best, the treatments can last up to 20-30 years. If they got in one time, they will be back. Look around the exterior of the home for the siding touching soil, and heavy overgrowth.

The drilling method is the best,

Yes it is.

the treatments can last up to 20-30 years

Not likely - Termidor has not been around that long and retreatment will probably be required somewhere along the line.

More importantly, if you get a good exterminator he should treat the entire house.

For $2,400 I have to ask; How big is your garage! I would call several TC contractors. Start with the big boys Orkin, Terminix and call some local guys. I had my entire brick home on a slab treated. They drilled treatment holes every 2-3 feet, drilled my 15x18 concrete patio and drilled beside two toilets. It cost me $950.

The chemicals are safe as long as the job is done properly. I'm not a big fan of bait stations, but over the years they have made drastic improvements with them. You might also inquire about adding bait stations if the entire home is not treated.

[:-angel]thanks for info. the garage is 28 feet wide.actually, the guy who quoted $2500 (incl. tax) was from Orkin. the guy from Terminix never showed up--we waited three hours. just thinking about the cost for treating the whole house makes me dizzy. by the way, we are both in our seventies--so who knows how much longer we are in this house.

thank you for reply. there is no wood touching soil anywhere around the house and know overgrowth. there is a narrow crack in the garage--seems they came up from under there--fefinitely not from the crawlspace.