19 freakin 81

Jim Katen

Alright, dammit. What the hell is it with 1981? Every single freaking house that I've inspected that was built in 1981 is freaked up the freaking wazoo. What the blazes was the matter with builders that year? Where they all high? Drunk? Being impersonated by freaking aliens?

What the heck inspired them to do all of the stupid crap that they did?

As of tomorrow, when someone calls for an inspection of a house built in 1981, I swear I'm going to charge them double.

Could it be the group of guys back from Vietnam who went into training to be carpenters and then became builders? Still a little high from the good stuff? Lotsa screwed up heads. The time line works.

Could it be the group of guys back from Vietnam who went into training to be carpenters and then became builders? Still a little high from the good stuff?

Nah... You'd have great plans to build something, and discuss it in depth, but then you'd get hungry, perhaps have a glass of wine or two and then take a nice 3 hour nap.

I'm only going on what I've heard though.

Could it be the group of guys back from Vietnam who went into training to be carpenters and then became builders? Still a little high from the good stuff?

Nah... You'd have great plans to build something, and discuss it in depth, but then you'd get hungry, perhaps have a glass of wine or two and then take a nice 3 hour nap.

I'm only going on what I've heard though.

You may be on to something there. But, there were job training programs that were designed to get guys back in the labor pool. And, of course, I was not talking about anyone on this forum. Just those crazy 1980's builders.

Ending of Jimmy Carter's time in office - high interest rates - flake-board instead of plywood - experimenting with insulation and vapor barriers - press board on counters with laminate coverings.

I started building my first spec house in 79 and was guided by the agent who was listing the house to build cheap and dress it up for a quick sale. Lucky to get it sold in 80 at 16.5% interest.

Thirty year houses filled and covered with products that were designed to last 20.

Owners with a throw-away mentality; keep the house for 5-7 years and sell.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

I had an '81 two-storey job on Saturday. It was a good solid stucco palace, shiplap roof sheathing on manufactured trusses. Two heatilator fireplaces, not rusted out yet. I always cringe when there's no chimney cap, but the secret is to burn lots of wood, dry them out.

The main beef was the metalframe windows had a lot of broken seals, and four of them were sliders with broken latches. Windows were crap.

I agree things were changing around that time. We took out a loan to buy a shack on 3/4 acres, bank interest on an unsecured loan in 1982? 21%!!