Can someone explain this to me?

blazenut

I told the buyers that i had never seen a hookup like this and that they should hire a plumber/HVAC for further evaluation. Next time ill take more pictures. Thanks guys.

You might want to consider calling the buyer and asking what the plumber/HVAC [sic] found. It's a win-win situation. You gain some knowledge and your customer will probably feel that you're taking a personal interest in them and going beyond what's expected. If you hear anything, I'm sure you'll post it here. I know I'd be interested.

On another note, what's with the anonymity? I guess you could have a valid reason for not putting your name in your posts, but why not in your profile? I'm guessing that Max Power isn't your real name. I've seen a number of people here take the time to answer your questions. Don't you think it would be befitting to let them know who they are conversing with?

As an added benefit, you wouldn't have to endure JG calling you blazenuts.

You need to give me a good explanation about how a domestic coil can feed the heater without a makeup supply of water.

There is a continuous make up, it's called the domestic supply. You are getting confused by the recirculation loop that maintains the storage tank temp when no hot water is being used. The whole set up is back asswards, it would be far simpler and less expensive if only the heat exchanger were in the storage tank, rather than the in the boiler.

Something no one else mentioned, the configuration of the storage will allow for multiple thermal zones in the tank, so hot water should be drawn from the top of the tank NOT via a dip tube from the bottom.

And to Mike: As well as this being a spirited debate, it is indicative of how inspectors get paid for stuff they don't know about. Regardless of the outcome of our discussion, blazenuts didn't have a clue. All of the discussion here would be moot if the inspector thought it through from top to bottom with some GOOD BASIC knowledge of hydronics.

Pretty harsh coming from a guy who clearly doesn't understand the system in the OP.

I hope im not offending anyone too much by not using my real name, does it really matter? Ive become used to not using my real name online, i guess i dont see the benifit in it, only bad could come from it. I really have nothing to hide, im a pretty straight up guy. I guess part of it is that im not particularly "proud" that as a new inspector i have to ask so many questions. It seems that most of you guys on here have been in business MUCH longer than I have, I really do appreciate all the help.

I hope im not offending anyone too much by not using my real name, does it really matter? Ive become used to not using my real name online, i guess i dont see the benifit in it, only bad could come from it. I really have nothing to hide, im a pretty straight up guy. I guess part of it is that im not particularly "proud" that as a new inspector i have to ask so many questions. It seems that most of you guys on here have been in business MUCH longer than I have, I really do appreciate all the help.

Yes - your real name = credibility. Would be a good idea to start using it here if you want to be treated with any respect.

Hi,

I've heard of a couple of cases where inspectors said that they were hassled and were accused of being inexperienced due to questions they'd posted on TIJ or other boards. I think that not only are such fears unfounded but the accusations are unfounded as well; one should never be criticized for seeking to improve one's knowledge.

Something that you need to realize is that it doesn't matter whether you are in this gig a week or 40 years, you're still going to be learning something new every single day and you will never know it all; any buyer/consumer looking for that inspector is delusional and any inspector that claims that he does know it all is nothing but a bald faced liar.

Let me put it in perspective; who are you more comfortable with - a doctor that's willing to ask his colleagues questions, does a lot of research into the latest and best techniques, and constantly strives to improve his or her skills, or someone who went to medical school 40 years ago and hasn't bothered to crack a medical journal since and hasn't a clue as to what the most current and best techniques are?

You don't need to answer; we all know what the answer will be if you're answering honestly.

I know folks are reticent to come on here and give their name because they're afraid that consumers hunting for a home inspector are going to perceive them as somehow inexperienced because they are asking questions. I've never found that to be the case. I get lots of calls from people that found my writings on the internet someplace and more than a few have told me that the reason that they chose me over other inspectors is because it's apparent I am constantly learning and seeking to contribute to improvement of the profession.

Be up front with your clients about your experience and they'll think better of you for it. Try to hide the fact that you are new and they're only going to think that you are trying to put one over on them and then they'll have less confidence in your trustworthiness and abilities.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I never lie to clients about what i know, and what i dont know. To be quite honest, when there is something that i dont know, i tell them that i have an excellent source of information at my finger tips (HERE) and that i will do everything in my power to get any answers that i can. Maybe someday, hopefully, ill get to the point where ill be doing more answering than asking here, but im not there yet. I take my job very seriously, as im sure everyone else here does as well. Cory... Now does that really make that much of a difference?

I did about half of the AT actually, and yea thats where it came from, listen Terence, i dont have any of these problems you think i have, i have an awesome family, im married, i have a kid i love to death, my business is thriving, to be honest, i have nothing to hide, nothing to bitch about at all. If i give you my last name, your gonna do "who knows what" with it... Why the hell do you care so much? Im really not here to socialize, there are other stupid sites out there for that if your into it. I see this place as a place to learn and someday teach hopefully. Ill tell you what, call me sally, call me whatever you want man, doesnt make a difference to me... :)

I've been hanging out here for several years and I don't know of anyone who hasn't had his ass handed to him on occasion or who hasn't started a thread with something like, "What the heck is this?"

Except, of course, for that damn Jim Katen . . . whose real name may actually be Yoda.

The ethos of a cyber community is unique and unlike any other kind of social interaction we engage in. Remember, though . . . if you want to ask someone for help, that someone at least deserves to know your name if he's taking time out of his day to make your life easier.

Well good, now that everyone here knows that CORY is my name. Well all sleep a little better tonight. I agree that cyber communities are a bit different than real life. Maybe thats why i chose to leave my last name out of it... Im certainly not going to accuse anyone here of being divorced with money problems simply cause there name isnt here... So far the whole time ive been on this site, i havent once looked at anyones bios to see what your last name is, because for me, it doesnt matter (guess im in the minority there). Have a good night everyone, again thanks for the information and the "fun". Im going to play poker. Wish CORY luck! See you next time...

Mike, ill tell you what i like about you... one your picture is awesome... two, the first time i came here, you set me straight and told me how things work around here. You were right. I hope i havent offended you or any of the the other helpfull people here with any of this nonsense (and thats what it is). I do really appreciate the help i get around here. I hope to be a helper here someday too.

Mike, ill tell you what i like about you... one your picture is awesome...

Well, Cory, if you think my face is cute you should see my keester.
two, the first time i came here, you set me straight and told me how things work around here.
Yeah, every time I do that to someone the sponsor's have a new litter of kittens.
You were right. I hope i havent offended you or any of the the other helpfull people here with any of this nonsense (and thats what it is).
Nah, I'm not offended and I don't think Terry is either; maybe he's just having a bad day. I have 'em. When I do, I usually kick someone here if the neighbor's dog isn't available.
I do really appreciate the help i get around here.
I know that. TIJ is here for all inspectors; new and seasoned, outgoing or reticent, good natured and bad natured.
I hope to be a helper here someday too.
You do contribute. Whenever someone asks a question here and stimulates good technical discussion it helps their fellow inspectors. It's a learning environment and it's a place where folks can chill if they want to.

The only real restrictions here religion and politics; discussions about religion and politics are forbidden here because they are just too inflammatory and have nothing to do with home inspection. Oh, and rudeness too; we don't take kindly to folks swaggering in, tossing their weight around, insulting folks and stinking up the joint - that's my exclusive purview. [;)]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You need to give me a good explanation about how a domestic coil can feed the heater without a makeup supply of water.

There is a continuous make up, it's called the domestic supply. You are getting confused by the recirculation loop that maintains the storage tank temp when no hot water is being used. The whole set up is back asswards, it would be far simpler and less expensive if only the heat exchanger were in the storage tank, rather than the in the boiler.

Something no one else mentioned, the configuration of the storage will allow for multiple thermal zones in the tank, so hot water should be drawn from the top of the tank NOT via a dip tube from the bottom.

And to Mike: As well as this being a spirited debate, it is indicative of how inspectors get paid for stuff they don't know about. Regardless of the outcome of our discussion, blazenuts didn't have a clue. All of the discussion here would be moot if the inspector thought it through from top to bottom with some GOOD BASIC knowledge of hydronics.

Tom: Show me the makeup/domestic supply? Did you look at the hookup between the coil and the tank? Two pipes going to two pipes.

Pretty harsh coming from a guy who clearly doesn't understand the system in the OP.

Never harsh. Simply stated facts. And I do understand more than you think.