SOP for Diagnostics on hermetic compressor

Yahawahay

I have this 4month old install of a copland high temp fractional copland compressor in which I installed. the old compressor locked up on mechanical failure. I believe I correctly installed this one, yet, it failed with S to G short. This is my SOP for the last.

1. Check for Correct voltege @ Control box.

2. Check Ohms across C S R & G (no shorts or open windings)

3. apply Hard Start Cap.

4. Finally Bump compressor..which worked for second.. with loud hard knock noise then lock up.. tripping breaker.

I Replaced the compressor with equal tonnage and manufacturer.

after blowing out line with Nitogen and installing suc and liq. line dryers.

Now. I have a compressor that is short S to G after a misily 4 months.

My question is.... is there anything I could have done diff. to prevent this early electrical Issue?[:-banghea

I have this 4month old install of a copland high temp fractional copland compressor in which I installed. the old compressor locked up on mechanical failure. I believe I correctly installed this one, yet, it failed with S to G short. This is my SOP for the last.

1. Check for Correct voltege @ Control box.

2. Check Ohms across C S R & G (no shorts or open windings)

3. apply Hard Start Cap.

4. Finally Bump compressor..which worked for second.. with loud hard knock noise then lock up.. tripping breaker.

I Replaced the compressor with equal tonnage and manufacturer.

after blowing out line with Nitogen and installing suc and liq. line dryers.

Now. I have a compressor that is short S to G after a misily 4 months.

My question is.... is there anything I could have done diff. to prevent this early electrical Issue?[:-banghea

What is this unit used for? Is the unit built by a standard manufacture or is it something you've put together?

How long did the compressor last that locked up? Did you ever come to conclusion as to why it locked up? When you replaced this compressor why did you install a suction line dryer (reason to install a suction line dryer is typically to clean up a system after a motor burn - what your second compressor failed with).

Something trashed the first compressor which sounds like a superheat problem. You either took a slug of liquid which broke the compressor or perhaps low superheat contributed to diluting the oil causing a lack of proper lubrication which lead to the compressor failing. Also could be operating in a low outdoor ambient without proper low ambient controls for head pressure.

The is not enough information to even hazard a guess why the second one burned out.

What were:

Suction Pressure

Head Pressure

Superheat

Sub-cooling

Voltage reading

Amperage reading

when you started up the new compressor?