Flashlight Advice

blazenut

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you guys know that i just recieved the new stinger hp led and the light is almost too bright. I have to switch it to medium or low to look in panels. I really like it because you dont have to take the batteries out to charge it, and its much smaller than the other stingers (around9" long) but the head is wide enough that it still fits in my pouch ring (just doesnt bang against my leg when i walk like the mags do). Im not ripping you Fenix guys out there (ill probly end up with one of them too...) but this new led stinger is nice...

• 2 weeks later...

Dont bother getting one of those 20 dollar ultrafire's. I got one just to check it out, i dropped it on carpet and it stopped working, and now it flickers. This all happened 5 minutes after i opened the box. Im going to get a Fenix since i already bought rechargable batteries (and they would be good for crawls). And for all you Fenix guys out there, my best friend has a Fenix, and my new stinger HD LED IS brighter. The beam is much brighter and travels much farther. Ive used it for several inspections on the same charge and it stills charges in no time (2.5 hour charger, that takes about 30 minutes after two inspections).

• 1 year later...

The button switch just went out on my venerable old Maglite but the bulb is still going strong. Gonna order another button. Someday I'll get one of those suns in a box but right now, after just replacing the Protimeter SM with a new one and getting the Pentax digital I've got to just thank my lucky stars Santa came early this year.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I own two Fenix lights. The TK45 for attics and other areas that need a large amount of illumination and a LD20 for everything else. Both of these lights are solid and very bright. They both use AA batteries which is good because AA's are cheap at Costco ($12 for 44) and are available everywhere in a pinch.

I'm thinking of getting a headlamp for those moments when I need my hands free. Is everyone else using headlamps? Any recommendations?

They both use AA batteries which is good because AA's are cheap at Costco ($12 for 44) and are available everywhere in a pinch.

You're throwing money away. Go to DollarTree; you can get 12 AA's for a buck.

Yeah, they're cheap and they don't last as long as a Duracell or an Energizer but at a buck for 12 it works out to be cheaper. My wife uses the SurveyMaster and keeps it on all the time during inspections and goes through a fair amount batteries. The DollarTree made it a whole lot cheaper.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I own two Fenix lights. The TK45 for attics and other areas that need a large amount of illumination and a LD20 for everything else. Both of these lights are solid and very bright. They both use AA batteries which is good because AA's are cheap at Costco ($12 for 44) and are available everywhere in a pinch.

I'm thinking of getting a headlamp for those moments when I need my hands free. Is everyone else using headlamps? Any recommendations?

I bought a headlamp from Sears interestingly enough. I've used a headlamp from day one and couldn't/wouldn't be without it.

I believe the lamp produces 170 lumens (Fenix produces 220 on high, I think.)

The headlamp was less than $20.

Just wanted to let you guys know that i just recieved the new stinger hp led and the light is almost too bright. I have to switch it to medium or low to look in panels. I really like it because you dont have to take the batteries out to charge it, and its much smaller than the other stingers (around9" long) but the head is wide enough that it still fits in my pouch ring (just doesnt bang against my leg when i walk like the mags do). Im not ripping you Fenix guys out there (ill probly end up with one of them too...) but this new led stinger is nice...

I was in your shoes with a new HP LED about 4 or 6 months ago. You'll get used to the brightness. The battery went dead last week for the first time since I purchased it near the end of a 4 hour grueling inspection on a raised floor dwelling. Flashlight and spare battery sit on charger which is permanently plugged into an ignition cig outlet. Mine came with an extra battery so it wasn't a problem that day.

One of the best investments I've ever made.

Marc