Wavy Siding

blazenut

I inspected a 4 year old half a million dollar home today that had a terrible siding job. The siding was very noticeably wavy in various locations around the house. Im assuming this is from the nails being installed to tightly? Is there a way to fix this without pulling the siding off and residing? It was pretty much uniform from top to bottom.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009121201111_wavy.jpg

60.96 KB

No, im didnt look in the seems. I wasnt aware of the use of staples. Ive only ever done it/seen it done with roof nails. Either way, they are too tight and not allowing for expanding/contracting right? I wrote it up that:

The vinyl siding on the home was found to be wavy in various locations at time of inspection. Many times this is due to improper installation methods (nails too tight). It is recommended that a reputable siding contractor be contacted for potential remedies. Residing may be needed to remedy this problem. This can be a major expense.

Thoughts?

If its installed correctly (not too tight), you can usually grab a piece at an overlap and slide it back and forth. Slide fingers under the seam and grasp. See if you can slide the siding back and forth.

For what it's worth, you can try that next time.

In the picture I see most of the waves across the gable end. Sometimes those gable ends are built very flimsy and can contribute to the uneven look.

The vinyl siding on the home was found to be is wavy in various locations. at time of inspection. Many times This is due to improper installation methods. (nails too tight). It is recommended that a reputable siding contractor be contacted for potential remedies. Residing may be needed to remedy this problem. This can be a major expense. To correct the issue, the siding will have to be removed and replaced. It's an aesthetic issue caused by poor workmanship that'll be expensive to fix.

It is recommended that a reputable siding contractor be contacted for potential remedies. Residing may be needed to remedy this problem. This can be a major expense.

That is basically how I would handle it.

I wonder if anyone noticed that narrow stretch of eaves between the bottom of the valley and the rake on that lower roof surface? It looks about a foot wide. Rainwater from an apparently large upper roof surface will add to the rain that falls on the lower roof surfaces to add up to a considerable flow. I've seen cases where the water backed up, even on pitches this high and breach the roof surface, rotting the decking. That valley has a lower pitch because it's at an angle and is likely to be the location of a breach if a breach happens. I don't think the shingle manufacturer intended his shingles to handle this much volume.

Marc

A $500,000 home with vinyl siding?

Jeez Scott,

You don't want to come house shopping out here - you'll see little s**t boxes with more hefty price tags than that covered with vinyl.

The worst of the waviness is on the gable end wall above the ceilings of the second floor. Were the gable end walls sheathed or was the vinyl simply tacked over a layer of WRB onto the gable end wall studs. Bet it gets pretty hot in there in the summer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

A $500,000 home with vinyl siding?

Jeez Scott,

You don't want to come house shopping out here - you'll see little s**t boxes with more hefty price tags than that covered with vinyl.

The worst of the waviness is on the gable end wall above the ceilings of the second floor. Were the gable end walls sheathed or was the vinyl simply tacked over a layer of WRB onto the gable end wall studs. Bet it gets pretty hot in there in the summer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey, I live in a plastic palace box! My entire subdivision of $200K to $250K have vinyl on 2-4 sides of the homes in it.