Jump to content

Long term overvoltage protection


Recommended Posts

I am trying to determine if there is a product that controls long term excessive voltage. Surge protectors provide only short term (a spike) and power conditioners only cover up to 110%. There was a CHSP Ultra installed but the duration was too long and cooked one side of it. Also most everything was on surge protector strips and they failed to protect things such as the internet modem, microwave, the electronics in the range and a TV.

I need a breaker that that governs voltage that I could install between the meter and the panel or backfeed the panel through such a breaker. Any ideas? I spoke with the Eaton-Hammer people this morning and they have no product that would control the extended high voltage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem occurs in the grid of Jamaica Public Service that services our home on the north coast of Jamaica. The first time it occurred when the service neutral separated at a splice, dropped across the two conductors and fed 223 volts through one leg of the service. (I was in the house when that happened and was able to get a reading.) My wife was drying her hair when the dryer went into overdrive.

Last Friday a tree fell across the line in the vicinity of our home and again there was a long term voltage of over 220.

Under what conditions are you experiencing long term high voltage?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surge protectors are only intended to bypass voltage spikes that result from a lightning strike. They haven't the dissipation specification to absorb the power that would result from an overvoltage condition. Power conditioners filter harmonics and some may counter undevoltage or overvoltage conditions but, again, they are not intended to correct erroneous values of voltages. Overvoltage relays are common in industrial power generation plants but I've never heard of one being adapted for residential use. Generally, the application of 240 V to a 120V circuit will result in overcurrents that would trip an overcurrent device (thermal/magnetic breaker or fuse) removing power from the affected circuit.

To get what you are asking for, perhaps it's time to engineer an off-the-shelf overvoltage relay to open the circuit on a magnetic contactor. The contactor would be wired to interrupt the circuit or feeder. Quite an expense but simply engineered.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

After discussing the issue with a tech at an electrical supply house yesterday he made two suggestions. One, that the utility has a too large or a faulty fuse or relay in the area. The other is to install what he called a "purifier" in each conductor just after they leave our meter pole.

I hope the second idea works because getting JPS to do anything is nearly impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will have to try a mongoose as there are no ferrets on the island and are probably difficult to get through Customs.

Just secure a dead ferret in series in the circuit. It'll carry the juice fine for a while but then begin to heat up and eventually will separate at a hip or shoulder joint and cut the power.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...