OSHA

Late last night, I completed my OSHA 10 certification.

I'm sure most of you are aware this is now manditory if you are working on any project of $250 k or better. For those of you who have not already had an opportunity to attend one of these classes, find a way to go. It's worth it.

While 10 hours of training barely scratches the surface of the two inch thick training manual, you will take away quite a bit of useful information.

It's amazing that anything gets done in this country. YOU CAN'T DO THAT!

Yeah, OSHA is funny sometimes. I remember that they required us, as masons on the job site, to extend a ladder up so many feet past the roof or scaffold edge, which meant you had to step AROUND the ladder when 30+ feet up in the air... I DON'T THINK SO! None of us were ever comfortable doing that "off balance" act. We always kept the ladder lower and went straight over the top to remain perfectly centered while mounting the ladder. To this day I can't stomach doing it any other way!?

It's a struggle to stay competative and profitable when trying to comply with OSHA.

I'm sure most of you are aware this is now manditory if you are working on any project of $250 k or better. For those of you who have not already had an opportunity to attend one of these classes, find a way to go. It's worth it.

While 10 hours of training barely scratches the surface of the two inch thick training manual, you will take away quite a bit of useful information.

When you say "mandatory" what do you mean? Is it only for commercial projects that you might be working on as an inspector?

When you say "mandatory" what do you mean? Is it only for commercial projects that you might be working on as an inspector?

Hi Scott,

Not as an inspector.

The mandate is for construction projects. As of July 2008, You shall not work on site without at least an OSHA 10 certification. If you're in a position of supervision, you need an OSHA 30 certification.

If for some reason you decided to go back into your trade, (fitter?) you have to have it.

Then there's some other stuff. You can't legally set foot on a scaffold without scaffold user training. And here's an old one that I still get funny looks for. You shall not erect a scaffold of any kind, anywhere, without a forty hour OSHA Scaffold erector qualification certification. New York state recently brought this to another level.

A contractor can be criminally charged if someone is hurt or killed while working on a scaffold that was erected or used by someone without proper training.

You guys that have inspectors working for you might want to look into some of the fall protection requirements if your inspectors walk on roofs more than six feet above the ground without a harness. Interesting stuff.

They may go overboard upon occasion but there is a reason for their existence. In another "profession" (that's for for Mike O' - see, I listen) they would be referred to as nit-picky and alarmist's.

I remember that they required us, as masons on the job site, to extend a ladder up so many feet past the roof or scaffold edge, which meant you had to step AROUND the ladder when 30+ feet up in the air... I DON'T THINK SO!

I never liked that "3 rungs over the top," rule either.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20091212172113_w%20bord%20OSHA%20(Medium).jpg

78.16 KB