'Time' for an Inspection...

Perhaps I should explain a little better.

I know that you inspect when you get the job. But, would winter be a better time of year, having the snow and potential ice lead you to a lack of insulation etc? In the morning, when the roof has frost and you can see the trusses line up through the frost.

You may not be able to chose when, but if you could, is there a time of year or day that allows the home to give up more telling secrets.

The other half of my question is ref the book you guys keep talking about. Codes covering everything? Can I get one in Canadian? or is it only in the US of A.

Perhaps I should explain a little better.

The other half of my question is ref the book you guys keep talking about. Codes covering everything? Can I get one in Canadian? or is it only in the US of A.

Mongo,

The Code books are the International Residential Codes. The are available through the International Code Council at www.iccsafe.org.

You will have to check with your local building authority to see what they are using. I checked the ICC web site and their is no reference to code books for Canada.

Bryan

I prefer sunny and 75 degrees with a light breeze and all of the utilities turned on. At that temperature I can check the heat and A.C. As far as the other things it dosen't matter much. I think the good experenced inspectors can locate the signs of winter defects in the summer and wet defects when it's dry. etc.

Be well.

I prefer sunny and 75 degrees with a light breeze and all of the utilities turned on. At that temperature I can check the heat and A.C. As far as the other things it dosen't matter much. I think the good experenced inspectors can locate the signs of winter defects in the summer and wet defects when it's dry. etc.

Be well.

if your close to the big lake, does it ever have light breeze...

oh and I love your avatar, top drawer I say

Thank you

Steve

IRC on CD ROM

It has a search function which helps you track down things by using keywords. It's helpful when you have a general idea what you are looking for but don't know where to find it.

http://www.internationalcodes.net/2009- ... 8-09.shtml

I also carry Code Check Illustrated Guide to Building a Safe House.

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Check-Illust ... 938&sr=1-4

Thank you for the references. I am a very studious person and will no doubt purchase and read up on it all. I am thinking that even if the Building Code is different between US and Canada, standard practices would be the same or with minor variances (local stuff).

If you have any other links that I have yet read ( and I am partway through this site) please send it. Not working so back to school as it were.

regards

Steve

You can't do much about seasons, other than curse them. Two feet of snow really limits inspection of outside components. If it's there, you do what you can. At the other end of the spectrum is summer heat. I find it awfully hard to concentrate when in a 130 degree attic. When the forecast is sun and brutal heat, I try to avoid booking afternoon inspections, but using a call center, sometime that doesn't work out too well. This close to the winter solstice, you don't want to start a big job in the afternoon, only to lose daylight before you get through the interior. There's no substitute for natural light.

Heavy rain can be helpful in documenting water leakage into basement. A picture of a puddle is always better than simply listing signs of past water intrusion. On the other hand, rain really limits a roof inspection. I won't go on a wet two story roof, or even a steep ranch roof for that matter. Sure, sometimes you can get a good picture of an active leak from in the attic, but you don't inspect a roof from the attic. It's very rare for me to see a leak in an attic that I wouldn't have been able to spot as a problem from the exterior on a sunny day.

Mongo - here in ON we use the Ontario Building Code (OBC). It can be purchased from Publications Ontario.

-B

Yes of course thank you. I suppose I was thinking (for some reason) that there was an all seeing singing and dancing manual other than OBC. Inspectors guide to Raised Ranch etc.

I realy should wake up before I start posting questions

Thanx all

You deal with the conditions you're presented with. Lots of snow means no roof inspection. 130degF attics means you better have a lot of water to drink. <60degF means you can't (shouldn't) test the AC. There's more, but you get the idea.

One thing's the same everywhere. Starting after dark means you can't do anything correctly. I don't start any job that I can't finish in daylight. Years ago I used to do gigs where I'd start late in the day, and finish up the interior after dark. Big mistake. Very big.

On Starting after dark means you can't do anything correctly. I don't start any job that I can't finish in daylight.

As I write this it is getting dark and I have lights on. Hmmm, looks like I would only get one a day this time of year. I would guess that there are less clients having their home insp in the winter months anyways.

I prefer to inspect homes around 9am and 1pm. This allows me to miss a good deal of the morning traffic and it allows me to have plenty of daylight for my afternoon inspection. As far as the weather or time of year? I love it when it rains during an inspection, it allows you to see what the water does and helps to find those pesky leaks. As for the time of year,it makes no difference to me. I do prefer the cooler weather over the 90+ degree summer heat.