Strange phone call

Phillip

I just got a call from a client that I did an inspection for in July. he was complaining that his gas bill is too high.

He thinks the only thing he has that is gas is the water heater. I pulled up the report and he has a gas furnace also. also checked the photos that I took and it shows a gas furnace.

I told him if his gas bill is too high he may have to lower his temperature setting. The water heater was putting out 140 degree water when I did the inspection and I wrote that it need to be turn down to around 120 degrees.

He wants me to stop by so I will be stopping by tomorrow.

Bring with you the phone number to the local gas company. Explain the clothes layering technique. And then let him know you have no idea what is considered high or not for that residence since you did not have access to prior bills. Didn't you guys just have an unusual cold snap roll through? If so, then more gas was probably used via the furnace than anytime in the past to warm the home.

Rob,

We are at this time in a unusual cold snap. He must think the bill is high which would be from a month ago. You are right about not access to prior bills.

Michael,

There was no gas leak/smell in July, but that will be one of the items I will look at.

The home is an older house and did not have the amount of insulation you would have today and that was also in the report.

Phillip, just a thought. You might try calling the gas company yourself before you go, explain the situation, and see if they will give you some historical usage figures for the house.

Most time in a real estate sell here the agents have the utility usage for a year. If he does not have that I will have the owner/client call them. The gas company does not give out much info if you are not the owner.

In MS a disclosure statement is required if an agent is involved. Energy cost for the past year are a required disclosure item. I collect a disclosure statement and keep it in my paper files. Call the agents involved. Both would be foolish (could be breaking RE regulations) to not have kept a copy.

Is this guy even acustomed to having a gas bill? If he's coming from an apartment I bet not.

My whole house (c1870) is gas. When I bought it there was gas in every room for long ago removed lighting and space heaters, and I spend between $1400 & $1500 per year ranging from about $40 a month in summer to a high of about $230 in the dead of winter.

Tom