Moisture in the Attic (Holy Shit!)

Erby

The one I saw a couple weeks ago was due to ceiling insulation being stuffed tightly into the soffits - virtually no soffit ventilation, which pretty much eliminates cross-ventilation. All the ridge vent or gable vent in the world won't work very well without a properly breathing soffit. Even prior to true soffit ventilation, there were usually enough gaps in soffits to provide decent cross-ventilation unless completely blocked by insulation.

Hi,

Here are some pictures from the moisture in the attic of a house at Thursdays inspection. The color doesn't show up that well in the photos; but there was white rot growing on the skip.

At first, one might think there is an exhaust fan disconnected somewhere.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010116224448_Liu.jpg

52.76 KB

Or maybe there's a roof leak.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011622460_Liu2.jpg

54.26 KB

Maybe there's a leak at the ridge vent?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201011622477_lie3.jpg

49.22 KB

Wait a minute! This roof is only five years old, what the hell is corroding these staples? Well, lookie there; there's the danged exhaust vent at the base of the area where the moisture is. Well, now I know, that vent is leaking like hell and all of that steam is condensing on the underside of this cold roof. These people are lucky they didn't kill themselves!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010116224951_lie5.jpg

60.5 KB

Actually, I'm just funnin' ya. I actually knew what was going on before I went into the attic. It was the very first thing I saw when I stepped out of my car and looked at the house - steam rising out of the shakes instead of the exhaust vent - I was about 99% certain I'd find the attic soaking wet after seeing that.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010116225843_Liu6.jpg

64.71 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Actually, I'm just funnin' ya. I actually knew what was going on before I went into the attic. It was the very first thing I saw when I stepped out of my car and looked at the house - steam rising out of the shakes instead of the exhaust vent - I was about 99% certain I'd find the attic soaking wet after seeing that.

I saw a cat IV furnace vent disconnected in an attic a while back on a 3 year old house-- it was bad. I didn't see any signs from the exterior, but concentrated areas of moisture and fungal growth in an attic are sure a dead giveaway. Good thing it wasn't a new construction inspection-- I wouldn't have caught it. There were only a few inches of the vent visible in the attic-- the disconnect was at insulation level and behind a flex duct.