Different Trap?

Mike Lamb

I've seen similar units in old rIchmond row houses, but they are typically made of galvanized steel. I've never seen one of chrome like that. The old galvanized ones could actually be cleaned out by simply removing a bottom threaded cap, which seemed like a nice feature. I doubt very any folks actually didit, though.

I suppose this is a trap I have not seen before. Does someone have more info or a link?

I've been seeing a bunch of those lately on high-end fancy-dandy lavatories with exposed plumbing. No one wants to look at an ugly p-trap in a $100,000 bathroom. Of course the lovely PVC fittings with the price tags still on them kind of offset the effect.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

LOL...Jim and I were posting at the same time. Is "fancy-dandy" vs "fancy-schmancy" the right term?

Actually, I prefer toffee fay. . . .

Back in Connecticut the '70s, a crew that I worked with used to use the term "toffee fay" to refer to stuff like that. For those who don't know, Toffee Fay is the name of a type of candy. (Haven't seen it in years, is is still made?). When I moved on to a different crew, the first time I said toffee fay, they all stopped and stared at me. But after a while, they all adopted the term too. As far as I know, I introduced that phrase to crews in Washington, DC, New York, and Vermont. Then I arrived in San Francisco. The first time I tried using it there, one of the carpenters took me aside and explained that it wasn't nice of me to make fun of gay people. (oh, jeez . . .) So I moved on to fancy dandy, which, I'm told, is moderately better.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

LOL...Jim and I were posting at the same time. Is "fancy-dandy" vs "fancy-schmancy" the right term?

Actually, I prefer toffee fay. . . .

Back in Connecticut the '70s, a crew that I worked with used to use the term "toffee fay" to refer to stuff like that. For those who don't know, Toffee Fay is the name of a type of candy. (Haven't seen it in years, is is still made?). When I moved on to a different crew, the first time I said toffee fay, they all stopped and stared at me. But after a while, they all adopted the term too. As far as I know, I introduced that phrase to crews in Washington, DC, New York, and Vermont. Then I arrived in San Francisco. The first time I tried using it there, one of the carpenters took me aside and explained that it wasn't nice of me to make fun of gay people. (oh, jeez . . .) So I moved on to fancy dandy, which, I'm told, is moderately better.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

It is funny how some terms you think are common turn out to be used by just you and a few aquaintances. My wife often uses the term "shitting pickles" for "scared". Something she picked up in high school. She always seems surprised when someone tells her "I've never heard that before".

BTW...I think the correct architectural term we should have both used is Artsy Fartsy.