Roofing Company's just amaze me.

Ben H

As I was driving home the other day, a house down the street from me was having a new roof installed.

I live in a cookie cutter neighborhood, so all the houses are look and are built the same. Small 1200SF ranch on slab. 2x4 truss, with 5/8 OSB sheeting.

I could not help but notice as the crew of guys where tearing off the old roof they were not dumpster diving with the shingles....Instead, they were stacking ALL the shingles on one edge of the peak. There had to be a 5-6 foot tall stack of shingles on a 3-4 sq ft spot on this house.[:-bigeyes[:-bigeyes[:-bigeyes

I was waiting for disaster to strike. Just think of the weight on that section.... [:-crazy]

Hi there,

My name is Phil Thomson form Guardian Roofing here in Australia.

These roofers know what what they are doing and the frame of the house is made to hold that much weight.

Visit guardianroofing.com.au to see some info on the topic.

Cheers,

Phil

Failed to find where your website had structural data.

Can you post specific URL

Matt

These roofers know what what they are doing and the frame of the house is made to hold that much weight.

Hello Phil,

Perhaps in Australia they are but in the USA, site built wood framed roofs are not designed from the standpoint of handling point loads of that magnitude or of any magnitude. They are designed to handle loads that are evenly distributed throughout the roof surface.

Marc

Ain't that the truth. I once saw a brand new house loaded with all the roofing material concentrated at the center third of the ridge, to be shingled the following day. When the crew arrived in the morning to start on the roof they found the load had pushed the back wall of the house out far enough for the second floor platform to fall, and with nothing left to tie it together the roof collapsed, pulling the gable ends in at the tops so they faced skyward. Oops!

Tom

Ain't that the truth. I once saw a brand new house loaded with all the roofing material concentrated at the center third of the ridge, to be shingled the following day. When the crew arrived in the morning to start on the roof they found the load had pushed the back wall of the house out far enough for the second floor platform to fall, and with nothing left to tie it together the roof collapsed, pulling the gable ends in at the tops so they faced skyward. Oops!

Tom

Hi,

Yeah, somewhere in here is a link to a photo of a house that had collapsed. The roofing company arrived, set up a conveyor belt and then stacked all of the shingles for the next day's job up near the ridge and left. Overnight, the point loading was too much for a gusset plate or two and the whole thing folded like a house of cards. Anyone remember that link? If it wasn't here, maybe it was over on my building science forum at JLCOnline.com.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi there,

My name is Phil Thomson form Guardian Roofing here in Australia.

Visit guardianroofing.com.au to see some info on the topic.

Cheers,

Phil

Sorry Phil, I wouldn't let these guys roof a dog house.

• 2 weeks later...