Jump to content

Mold in the News


mcramer
 Share

Recommended Posts

A moldy home may not be the root of your ills

an ABC Action News report 10/25/04

TAMPA - A 1999 Mayo Clinic study connected nearly all of the chronic sinus infections afflicting 37 million Americans to mold. However, an allergy expert at USF disagrees.

Dr. Richard Lockey says that research shows most of us have mold in our homes and it would take more than that to make a person seriously ill.

"Most people who enter a room and it's mold infested they see the black and it leaves a message with them, saying that this room is contaminated and it truly is," Lockey said. However, Lockey, who has studied mold for 20 years, believes that mold is not really as toxic as the public fears

"In order for that mold to really cause problems you have to eat it in huge quantities," explained Lockey. "For example, we know animals have died from eating mold infested hay but they have to eat a lot of it. When these mold spores and old particles get into the air they don't cause any serious medical problems. If they did, we'd all be suffering on an ongoing regular basis."

Dr. Lockey sees about five people a month complaining of mold allergies and there is a test he can do to determine if that is true. Most people he said are rarely allergic to only mold.

"Compared to things like dust mites, compared to things like cockroaches, compared to things like cats and dogs -- they are far down the line as far as allergens causing disease," concluded Lockey.

Dr Lockey believes the idea that mold in your home is causing some epidemic of disease is absolutely unproven and unscientific. His opinion is based on years of treating patients as well as research done at USF and papers written by other members of the scientific community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by crusty

"In order for that mold to really cause problems you have to eat it in huge quantities,"

Is this guy for real?[:-bigeyes

He may have phrased it better along the lines of "one would have to ingest or absorb huge quantities....."

As far as his meaning, he's probably got it exactly right. I know a couple of microbiologists (I think one is something called a micologist) that think the same thing. They can't figure out what all the fuss is about w/ mold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by crusty

I Always thought the issue with mold in the home environment had to do with ingesting the spores in to the pulmonary system, not the digestive system. What planet is this guy from? I steer clear of mold on my cheese but that's another issue. The allergenic effects are attributed to the spores, not the mold itself. Most of us don't eat the walls. IMO, as is the case with all allergies, and I believe the effects of mold are allergenic only, the more one thinks about it, the worse it gets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike, you are sounding more like me every day! Let us not forget the mold is gold crowd needs some justification for their fees. We inspectors could, and should, have stopped this a couple of years ago by sticking to inspections.

I have a young inspector in my area that went to XXXXX's "seminar" in New Mexico last January and now is the darling of the local real estate market as the resident mold guy. He really believes in the process and has found new self-esteem as a savior. Unfortunately we are kinda slow around these parts, so he has abt six months left.

Sometimes I think inspectors shoot themselves in the foot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by mcramer

A moldy home may not be the root of your ills

an ABC Action News report 10/25/04

"In order for that mold to really cause problems you have to eat it in huge quantities," explained Lockey.

In my younger days I use to eat vast quanties of mushrooms, could this be why I don't feel good or would you say that it's the Wild Irish Rose wine?

[;)]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... ... ... This just in!

In a most recent internet transmission, HI Bin Laden - 'Certified' HI Mold Tester/Leader has decreed the assassination of Dr. Richard Lockey. He stated " Dr. Richard Lockey's public denouncement of MOLD is a threat to our pockets and livelihood. If we must rely on Home Inspections to earn a living, we may as well go out of business. I have 'Certified' (in one day) a special network of Mold Testing HI's to make Dr. Lockey perish by ingesting Blue Cheese into his system".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by hausdok

. . . Dimwits like this reporter keep stirring things up and the shysters running around testing for the stuff just continue to perpetrate the myth.

Here's the link: One more B.S. story about mold

From that link, '"Stachybotrys is one of the molds we know of that's capable of creating a toxin on the spore," says McCartney. "It's a microtoxin."'

Do you suppose he thinks that the toxin is really, really small or do you suppose he means, "mycotoxin"?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...