Adobe Construction Questions

inspectorwill

Anyone with experience in adobe construction? We don't have adobe construction in Southern California except for this one house:) which I have been selected to inspect. I did a drive by and took a couple photos of the exterior and will return this week for the inspection. I have been doing web research but if anyone can direct me to a good source it would be much appreciated. The home was constructed in 1952 and it appears to have been coated with a plaster type material at one time. It is now just exposed adobe brick with straw embedded. Some of the bricks along the bottom are pitted and moist, probably due to saturation and wicking from a recent rain. The brick is run down into the soil and no stem wall is visible. Is a plaster siding material recommended on this type of brick to preserve it and should the pitting be tended to?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010214135559_P1010123.jpg

79.04 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010214135620_P1010124.jpg

64.73 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010214135640_P1010117.jpg

78.94 KB

Anyone with experience in adobe construction? We don't have adobe construction in Southern California except for this one house:) which I have been selected to inspect. I did a drive by and took a couple photos of the exterior and will return this week for the inspection. I have been doing web research but if anyone can direct me to a good source it would be much appreciated. The home was constructed in 1952 and it appears to have been coated with a plaster type material at one time. It is now just exposed adobe brick with straw embedded. Some of the bricks along the bottom are pitted and moist, probably due to saturation and wicking from a recent rain. The brick is run down into the soil and no stem wall is visible. Is a plaster siding material recommended on this type of brick to preserve it and should the pitting be tended to?

I don't know. I've never inspected an adobe home and I never expect to.

But I've gotta say that the stuff in your pictures looks pretty damn good after 58 years. What would happen if they just left it alone?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I did a drive by and took a couple photos of the exterior and will return this week for the inspection.
How did you get you hand in that pic if you were driving?

I have been doing web research but if anyone can direct me to a good source it would be much appreciated.
There's an excellent preservation brief on the preservation of historic adobe buildings, from the Heritage Preservation Services Division of the National Park Service.

Hi,

I saw a lot of adobe construction when I was stationed in Monterey and most of it was left unparged and looked great. I bet if you look around, you'll find a contractor in your region that used to live upstate and is familiar with adobe. Find out what it will cost you to get an adobe education and get him/her to accompany you and school you on the product during your inspection. Then write it off as a business expense.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike