sub-panel

RichR

Any ideas on this sub-panel?

All kinds of stupidness happened in there.
Why install a jumper between the top lugs?
The feed to this building is probably only 120v. The jumper is installed to feed both bus bars with 120v (same leg).
What does the NEC say for horse barns a electrical installed.
As far as I know, the same rules apply for all outbuildings on a residential property. Just keep up with the changing bonding and grounding method requirements. For horse barns, there are specific needs to keep the animals from damaging electrical components and specific needs to keep electrical components from damaging animals.

Your photo seems to suggest that this is a 120/240V subpanel with one of the 2 incoming ungrounded feeder conductors hanging loose and the other one now connected to the busbar via a 2 pole breaker. It appears that the panel is no longer served by 120/240v but by 120v only. The jumper joins the ungrounded busbars together to allow 120v service to all single pole breakers.

If I make the assumption that the feeder conductor serving this panel is properly protected with a breaker at the main panel, then the 2 pole breaker within this panel is both an improper choice of breaker and is redundant. Other than that, the incoming neutral conductor should be identified by a white color and there is some question as to whether the sole connected ungrounded feeder conductor is of adequate ampacity to carry all 120v loads on that panel since those loads were previously shared by 2 ungrounded feeder conductors.

A better photo might reveal additional violations.

Overall, it's a good example of what I call 'tribal' wiring methods.

Marc

What Bill said. And Marc. They brought 2 blacks and a white in, but one of the blacks is capped with a wire nut. The big breaker is only feeding one bus bar, so they added a jumper to the other side. 120 volts. We can't see the sizes of the breakers. What are they?

I see a large green grounding wire going to the grounding bus. If that is properly grounded, then I don't see anything inherently unsafe there, except that it's a confusing mess.

That loose device in the bottom of the panel should be removed. Ok, that's a job for an electrician. [:)]

Any ideas on this sub-panel? Why install a jumper between the top lugs?

What does the NEC say for horse barns a electrical installed. Is it all required to be in conduit.

What everyone else said about the panel.

No, the wiring doesn't have to be in conduit, but there shouldn't be any NM. Horse barns come under Article 547. It allows UF, NMC, Copper SE, Jacketed MC, RNC, LFNC, or "other cables or raceways suitable for the location.

Personally, I prefer to see the wiring kept away from anywhere that a bored horse could reach. If a horse can reach it, he *will* damage it.

Aside from physical protection of the wiring, the big concerns with a horse barn include water, dust, dirt, and bonding. Bonding, bonding, bonding.

Did I mention bonding?

- Jim Katen, Oregon