Dragon NS 10.x

I've been using Dragon Naturally Speaking for a spell now and the jury is still out - sometimes it's pretty good and other times it is a royal pita.

This is one of those pita times. I use it with 3D and I'll be speaking very slow so it understands me and then for some unbeknownst reason it shoots to a totally different section of the report and then keeps typing. Almost like tabbing to a different section. Must be some type of command mode.

Happen to anyone else using it?

Anyone chuck it yet?

That same thing happens to me. I'm stumped. I just make sure I pay attention to whats going on.

All told, even with it's few glitches, it helps me get my report done faster. Im such a poor typer with two fingers, I can't even look at the screen when typing.

With Dragon NS I can look at the screen while I think and dictate. It saves time and makes the task more relaxing.

I wish I could figure out how to get it to stop capitalizing certain words. Words like "windows" which I use alot.

Try buying a high quality microphone. ( If that doesn't help take it back. ) Best Buy has 30 days no questions on electronics. Make sure you have other IR devices running in the room you are dictating in turned off. That would include a tv. Make sure all the other programs on your computer are shut down, not idling in the background. When you have some spare time try dictating into a quality digital recorder, then train Dragon to the voice of the recorder. The voice, tone, volume will be more consistent.

I wish I could figure out how to get it to stop capitalizing certain words. Words like "windows" which I use alot.

That's easy. Go to "words" in the Dragon Bar and click on "view/edit." Scroll to the word that is wrong or type it into the box at the upper left. If it's a word that is capitalized automatically like "windows" or "main" you need to delete the word.

If you don't know this already, you can add or edit words by using the "train" function to teach the program new words and your pronunciation of them. Do it for the words that it consistently misidentifies and it can get amazingly accurate.

IMHO, getting a better mic than the one that ships with it is critical.

I think the problem with jumping around in the program is that something you are saying is interpreted as a navigation command for the program.

Originally posted by John Dirks Jr

I think the problem with jumping around in the program is that something you are saying is interpreted as a navigation command for the program.

I have a desktop and a laptop side by side. The DT is wired, the LT is wireless. For reasons I won't get into, I sometimes use a second LT (3rd computer) nearby. When I perform certain commands on the DT sometimes the LT or LTS react by doing something else. When all three or two are sleeping and I use my Logitec remote, which turns on all of my audio/video devices, the computers will, on occasion, wake up. I am sure there is a connection between voice activated programs and IR devices nearby. When I used my voice program I had problems until I shut everything down except the DT. I did have good luck dictating into a digital recorder, making all the corrections and go backs then having the recorder dictate to the program. The one thing I learned from my son, the sound engineer, is to have the best mike money can buy.

That's easy. Go to "words" in the Dragon Bar and click on "view/edit." Scroll to the word that is wrong or type it into the box at the upper left. If it's a word that is capitalized automatically like "windows" or "main" you need to delete the word.

If you don't know this already, you can add or edit words by using the "train" function to teach the program new words and your pronunciation of them. Do it for the words that it consistently misidentifies and it can get amazingly accurate.

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize it was so easy.

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize it was so easy.

Just who is Mark? LOL