Changing from R-22, do I need new fan coil?

MPdesign

If I replace an old R-22 condensing unit outside, do I really need to replace the entire inside fan coil unit?

I am aware of the concerns for efficiency and variable speed; but I have some customers that will reject that and just say that they want to replace the outside unit and not the inside unit because they have 10 of them and they all have another 10 years of life. Realistically I see 20+ year old fan coil units every day.

I would like to hear a few opinions on this issue as it is a rather large issue for the industry.

If I replace an old R-22 condensing unit outside, do I really need to replace the entire inside fan coil unit?

I am aware of the concerns for efficiency and variable speed; but I have some customers that will reject that and just say that they want to replace the outside unit and not the inside unit because they have 10 of them and they all have another 10 years of life. Realistically I see 20+ year old fan coil units every day.

I would like to hear a few opinions on this issue as it is a rather large issue for the industry.

If efficiency isn't a factor, then your only conceren is how to get every drop of mineral oil out of the coil.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If efficiency isn't a factor, then your only concern is how to get every drop of mineral oil out of the coil.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I was under the impression the R-22 refrigerant's working pressure is much lower than newer the refrigerants. If the condenser and refrigerant are upgraded, wouldn't the air handler's components have to be upgraded as well in order to handle the newer refrigerant's higher working pressure?

I was under the impression the R-22 refrigerant's working pressure is much lower than newer the refrigerants. If the condenser and refrigerant are upgraded, wouldn't the air handler's components have to be upgraded as well in order to handle the newer refrigerant's higher working pressure?

Copper tubing is copper tubing. And a brazed connection is a brazed connection. They'll work at either pressure.

I suspect that you'd need a new metering device, though.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Depends on whether hes installing a new 410 unit or a new r22 unit,their are still new 13 seer r22 units out there.

I talked to my salesman at the supply house the other day about the differances between 22 and 410 coils,he told me most of the new ones are able to be used on either system