jammed disposal

John Dirks Jr

A word of caution:

If you notice that the disposal is jammed, be very careful about checking the drain function. On a recent inspection, the disposal was so broken that water gushed out from the bottom of it.

It's a good thing the portion of basement below it was unfinished.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20105910190_P1030664.jpg

26.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201059101936_P1030666.jpg

21.34 KB

I think that what you'll find is that the leak caused it to jam since it corroded the motor. That's why I always recommend stainless steel grinding chambers. I find far more disposers in need of repair due to leaks than I do faulty motors. I've seen several 25-30 year old SS chambered models still cranking along.

John, you have to run cold water through it before activating it, so you'll find the leak before finding out it's jammed. And how would the jammed motor cause it to leak?

Could damage caused by a jamming event make the housing fail and thus create the condition for a leak?

The thing was jammed and it was leaking like a sieve.

Hey John, as explained above. The disposers with galvanized housings are notorious for rusting through. This in turn freezes up the motor over time. They usually leak very slowly, but you can't miss it. I almost always find the drip coming directly out of the wiring housing of the unit. Kinda scary ehhh.