To support or not?

Robert Jones

For some reason this is just sticking out to me as needing some kind of support. This is the rea where the garage roof connects to the main roof. Should there be some kind of support? The home is 53 yrs old and obviously, nothing has happened to date, it's just bugging me.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010518212037_P1090400%20(Medium).jpg

56.35 KB

Hi Rob,

I dunno, 53 years old and that's all the sagging/separation it's had? I'm guessing that those pony walls, upper part of those rafters and that ridge board are all providing a very nicely tensioned apex. If it didn't have those pony walls, I'd probably mention it, but with them? Nah, I'd let it go.

Now, mind you all, before you start stompin' on me, I'm no friggin engineer and I know squat; so I'm only saying what I'd do if it were me. Rob has to decide what kind of liability he wants to assume.

By the way, that's one very tidy looking attic for a 53 year old home around here; did they have an OCD owner there?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This home had been sold at an estate sale, then eye candy work and flipped. This area is above the garage. The rest of the attic wasn't all that bad, with the exception of the limited amount of wool insulation that was installed. All new wiring/panel.

I agree with what you and Kurt have replied with. I didn't even mention it while on site with my client. It was just one of those things that I noticed coming up the steps to the attic, and it stuck in my head. There were no cracked rafter boards or anything like that, so I wasn't overly concerned.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi Rob,

I'm guessing that those pony walls, upper part of those rafters and that ridge board are all providing a very nicely tensioned apex.

That, and if the exterior walls aren't able to move outwards, it's not an issue. I see many similar situations with cross gables and rear wing additions on old buildings. They've mostly been just fine, even though there aren't any ridge boards used.