Ooh, ooh that smell. Can't you smell that smell?

mgbinspect

Yesterday I performed an inspecion of a vacant foreclosure home with all of the typical horrific signs of abuse and neglect.

But, while making my pretty large list of what's wrong with the HVAC distribution system, (gaps, filth, contamintation, high water marks in the central return duct,

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010731103534_DSCN9701.jpg

53.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010731103617_DSCN9704.jpg

48.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010731103658_DSCN9705.jpg

65.92 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010731103745_DSCN9706.jpg

54.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201073110409_DSCN9708.jpg

84.88 KB

I ran across one condition I found particularly amusing. Someone went through the bottom of the central return duct to service the condensate drain line that drains into the floor drain that is directly under the central return duct. They didn't seal up the duct afterwards.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010731103848_DSCN9707.jpg

27.32 KB

Nice!

Here is a furnace of a house that is being lived in.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201081185741_DSCF0043.jpg

50.93 KB

When I got done with the inspection, went home and took off my clothes at the back door, went to the basement and hosed off over the floor drain before I went upstairs and took a long hot shower. I get the itchies when I do one of those.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Here is a furnace of a house that is being lived in.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201081185741_DSCF0043.jpg

50.93 KB

When I got done with the inspection, went home and took off my clothes at the back door, went to the basement and hosed off over the floor drain before I went upstairs and took a long hot shower. I get the itchies when I do one of those.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Was it a rental Ezra?

I've only done a few really filthy homes however I wear a pair of those disposal latex gloves when I do. I also carry around a big bottle of hand sanitizer.

It is a rental. Should have know that it was going to be a bad one when the seller and agents said they were busy and couldn't make it to the inspection. Buyer is from out of town. After the furnace, the only thing I touched was my camera.

I keep the Clorox wipes in the truck, but still need a long hot shower to get the bugs off of me and the smell out of my nose.

• 2 weeks later...