Purpose of tubing to flue

Jerry Lozier

The black device on the water treatment canister is an automatic air vent. It's intended to vent the accumulation of trapped air in a closed water system.

I've never seen one on a water treatment canister. I also don't understand why the vent would be extended with tubing to a furnace flue connector.

Is the house on a well Jerry? I ask, because when I googled Dyna Pro I found that they make a variety of water treatment devices. http://www.dyna-pro.com/ Perhaps they would recognize the set-up?

My guess is that the cylinder is some sort of gas-from-water separator (hydrogen or something lighter than air?) and they have it piped to the flues to evacuate it from the house.

It's hard to believe that any plastic pipe, no matter what it's for, into a water heater draft diverter is kosher.

Is the house on a well Jerry? I ask, because when I googled Dyna Pro I found that they make a variety of water treatment devices. http://www.dyna-pro.com/ Perhaps they would recognize the set-up?

My guess is that the cylinder is some sort of gas-from-water separator (hydrogen or something lighter than air?) and they have it piped to the flues to evacuate it from the house.

It's hard to believe that any plastic pipe, no matter what it's for, into a water heater draft diverter is kosher.

Actually going to furnace flue, WH connection is above this... but you're right seems bizarre... Yes it has a well, has a softner, and also what looked like a iron filter though nothing was marked and no manuals. Estate/ foreclosure so may have to go to local installer for info. Though someone here might recognize?

One final thing: I saw a disturbing film on natural gas fields in the southern states the other day and how it's affecting the groundwater. People with wells nearby are getting screwed. Some could actually put a match to a faucet and get flames. Were there any natural gas extraction facilities near this home?

There's this new natural gas extraction process that has people's minds going wild. I'd like to see that film if you remember where you saw it. Thanks.

Hydraulic Fracting

Marc

That's a big deal here in NY. There is all kinds of fracting going on in PA, but NY won't let them in until they figure out how to regulate it. I for one would like to see the gas companies required to maintain the existing infrastructure before they are allowed to drill any new wells. There are thousands of leaking gas mains in WNY, what we are allowing to vent to atmosphere has to excede the production on one of those fract wells.

One final thing: I saw a disturbing film on natural gas fields in the southern states the other day and how it's affecting the groundwater. People with wells nearby are getting screwed. Some could actually put a match to a faucet and get flames. Were there any natural gas extraction facilities near this home?

There's this new natural gas extraction process that has people's minds going wild. I'd like to see that film if you remember where you saw it. Thanks.

Hydraulic Fracting

Marc

http://gaslandthemovie.com/

It can be seen on HBO On Demand here in NJ (FIOS). Very disturbing documentary.