Manufactured house foundation

I inspect a fair number of manufactured houses, and do engineer's certifications to HUD requirements. However, the "system" I saw today is new and I can't find any information on it. Does anyone know what it's called, or where I might find data on it? There were two of these under each half of a 40x28, for a total of four. Thanks!

Mark

Click to Enlarge
tn_201082322449_IMG_0009small.jpg

56.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010823224453_IMG_0010%20small.jpg

62.07 KB

Hi Mark

You might check out the Hud Guide for Foundation and Support Systems for Manufactured Homes in TIJ's Library. Go to the menu bar above, pass your cursor over "Library", choose "File Downloads" and then scroll down until you find it. Once you click on it, depending on how fast your connection is, it might take a long time to load. I'm on Comcast cable and it took my computer nearly five minutes with a white screen before it finally displayed.

You won't see this system described there but you will find a very extensive list of manufactured home support system sources in the back. If you send out an email to a list of these companies along with a photo, I think you'll probably discover that one of those firms makes this system.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

There are 3 or 4 manufacturers producing these anti-turnover assemblies. One is Oliver Technologies, another is Tie-Down Engineering. Many of these systems still require 1 or 2 traditional style tie-downs on each end of the home. The beauty of these systems is, in many instances,the elimination of 20 or 30 or more tie-down straps. Not all home manufacturers accept all brands-I try to determine the brand and then reference the mfg. installation instructions. If it is not an approved brand I will note it in my report. These systems have been increasing in popularity over the last 8 or 9 years.

There are 3 or 4 manufacturers producing these anti-turnover assemblies. One is Oliver Technologies, another is Tie-Down Engineering. Many of these systems still require 1 or 2 traditional style tie-downs on each end of the home. The beauty of these systems is, in many instances,the elimination of 20 or 30 or more tie-down straps. Not all home manufacturers accept all brands-I try to determine the brand and then reference the mfg. installation instructions. If it is not an approved brand I will note it in my report. These systems have been increasing in popularity over the last 8 or 9 years.

Are they attached to the earth?

If not, what function do they serve?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There are usually plates under the pier (sometimes separate as shown), that serve as the attachment point for the diagonals that are seen in the picture. On slabs they are fastened with expansion bolts and on ground with small driven anchors-sometimes the ground plates have simple cleats that "dig-in" as the pier is loaded. They work on the principle of load transfer through the diagonal members--wind load on one elevation transfers as a down pressure to the piers on the opposite side, thus preventing wind lift. Traditional tie-downs are installed at the ends only. Go here for information http://www.tiedown.com

Thanks for the info, Greg. these don't seem to be attached to the ground, unless the cleats you mention are on the bottom of the 2x plates, which are on top of the plastic vapor barrier - obviously put there after the building was set in place. The system in the tiedown.com web link is not what I'm seeing. I haven't checked all the other references yet.