What is this "scuba tank-like" device?

ryanp

What's an archived post? Is it no longer available?

Marc

\

In all honesty, I'm not sure myself. I just notice the option to search "non-archived posts" and assume maybe some aren't available? I do remember posting about a similar unit that was suspended horizontal from the floor joists and Les identified it. Unfortunately, I don't accurately recall what he said it was. I thought it had to do with the water heater that is beside it, but I don't recall the connection.

Is this an old water softener or just a filter of some sort? If it is a softener, where does the salt go?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20109412938_DSCF0205.jpg

27.15Â KB

It could be an old filter, if it contains sand/gravel/clay/bone charcoal or an old softener if it contains gravel & zeolite. If there's no other opening than for the 2 pipes, it was the type that got switched out on a regular schedule.

Culligan had abt "forty million" out there. Old technology.

If there's no opening for regeneration, it could well be a Culligan. They originally didn't sell water softeners. They sold a service that softened water. The "Culligan Man" (a franchise) appeared regularly at customers homes to switch out canisters.