Jump to content

What is this "scuba tank-like" device?


Recommended Posts

What's an archived post? Is it no longer available?



In all honesty, I'm not sure myself. I just notice the option to search "non-archived posts" and assume maybe some aren't available? I do remember posting about a similar unit that was suspended horizontal from the floor joists and Les identified it. Unfortunately, I don't accurately recall what he said it was. I thought it had to do with the water heater that is beside it, but I don't recall the connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this an old water softener or just a filter of some sort? If it is a softener, where does the salt go?

Click to Enlarge

27.15Â KB

It could be an old filter, if it contains sand/gravel/clay/bone charcoal or an old softener if it contains gravel & zeolite. If there's no other opening than for the 2 pipes, it was the type that got switched out on a regular schedule.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Culligan had abt "forty million" out there. Old technology.

If there's no opening for regeneration, it could well be a Culligan. They originally didn't sell water softeners. They sold a service that softened water. The "Culligan Man" (a franchise) appeared regularly at customers homes to switch out canisters.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...