Step at Tub Deck

Jerry Simon

I never indicate there should be a step.

It's just that sometimes you see 'em, and sometimes you don't...

I can imagine where having a step could actually increase the likelihood of slipping/falling/tripping.

That's what my client thought...

Must be slow for you too.............

Actually, five this week, but only twelve for the entire month so far...

S'funny.......I've been puking on the retail SFH HI's........if I didn't have the reserve study stuff and a couple big commercial gigs, I might get depressed..........naaaaah......

I picked up a 6 building mess of a condo foreclosure, starting tomorrow. It'll make the month look a lot better.

If in were a "regular" bath tub, you would not miss the step.

If there is a step, they usually do meet the code requirements for steps/stairs. The treads are too narrow and the riser heights are uneven and exceed 7 3/4 inches. Usually the tread is tile so when stepping out of a wet tub onto a slick tile, it only increases the likelyhood the user will fall.

No, steps not required.

In another life I was a master tile setter. I will not install what amounts to wall tile anywhere it can be walked on. Period. That is the problem with running a step with the same tile that wraps the tub.

Tile with a higher friction coefficient is ok, like running the FLOOR tile up the step. Still, you have a step with no hand rail, risky for older users.

If there were a step of wall tile, I'd call it out as a safety issue.

In another life I was a master tile setter. I will not install what amounts to wall tile anywhere it can be walked on. Period. That is the problem with running a step with the same tile that wraps the tub.

Tile with a higher friction coefficient is ok, like running the FLOOR tile up the step. Still, you have a step with no hand rail, risky for older users.

If there were a step of wall tile, I'd call it out as a safety issue.

If I can ask a dumb question....How do you tell the difference between wall and floor tile?

Marc