Are You EXPERIENCED?

Some thoughts about ASHI's Inspection World 2005 by TIJ's Northeast correspondent, Jim Morrison.

This year's ASHI® conference was much different than the first one, which was held in a Rutgers University dormitory in 1977 and attended by just 50 people. Austin’s InspectionWorld 2005 saw about 1100 home inspectors gathered to improve their skills and share their knowledge.

I attend these conferences every few years or so. This was my sixth. When I left home that morning it was 18° and snowing, but when I arrived at the Hilton in Austin, TX, I was pleased by each of the 76 degrees on the thermometer and bright sunshine (though it only lasted a few days). The Hilton where the conference was held was the nicest hotel in anyone’s memory. The hotel restaurants were top notch, the gym was modern, clean, and uncrowded, and the conference facilities were terrific.

Austin is often referred to as “Little Nashvilleâ€

Jim Morrison,

A couple of things...

Thank you very much for the kind words describing our fair Capital City.

Look out though...saying things like "little Nashville" could stir up a hornets nest.

I've heard it this way: "I'd rather be a fence post in Texas than the King of Tennessee".

I'm new to this board as a member, but have been looking in for just over a month now. I really enjoy it and look forward to contributing and learning.

Thanks for the opportunity!

bjp

I liked Austin a lot, and the conference was great. It was my first time (be gentle with me), but sure as hell not my last. I really enjoyed meeting the people behind the names and snapshots, from both the HI web boards and the ASHI hierchy. Now I have voices and bodies to put with the posts, much nicer. I must loudly thank Scott Patterson again for his generousity in sharing his lodgings with me, that was a huge help to me. Thank You Scottster! I owe you a big one.

Ole' Stachy was too much for our Jimmy-Boy, but he was real cute in the cowboy hat. [:-cowboy]

I tried to talk him into a Texas-sized belt buckle, but no go (dang thing looked like a pie plate). We did get a good taste of the music scene down at Antone's, where the Winter Rockfest featured 5 live bands in one night...really took me back a few years (like about 15 or so). The price of admission also included a CD with 2 songs by each band, pretty neat.

Some seminars were better than others of course, but I got something out of every one. I particularly liked getting to scratch my longtime itch about alternative energy and listen to Douglas Hansen at the same time. If I ever get the money, I know a lot more about it now than I did. Lord, how I would love to make the meter spin backwards!

Next year is Fort Lauderdale; I'll be there. Long drive though...how about Memphis the next time? I can be there in a couple of hours. [:D]

Brian G.

Austinated Mississippian [:-party]

That was my first visit to Texas, and I loved it. Austin was fun and I went out into the hill country one night to visit an old buddy and loved that too. The thing you gotta love about Texas is the Texans. Full of pride and funny Texasisms about their state. As my buddy told me: "You've left America, boy. You're in the United State of Texas, now."

Sorry to disappoint readers who expected more content on cigars and lovely ladies. I'm sure there were plenty of both in Austin last week, but predictably, I didn't get my hands on either... There was a fair bit of Guinness about, but there isn't much I could say about it that hasn't already been said.

Did the guy who edited that article actually post: "Actually, Jim did right the review"?

Good heavens,

Jimmy

Originally posted by hausdok

Oy,

How embarrassing. I fixed it. Must be the Alzheimer's. I keep catching myself using 'hour' when I mean 'our'. Must be some kind of synonym switch in the head that degrades with age. What I want to know is how come none of these other characters didn't even bother to tell me about it. Jeez!

OT - OF!!!

M.

I was tempted to point out your mistake but I was afraid to hurt your feelings and I do my best to respect my elders.

Yeah, I know; I wanted to buttonhole Paul about local charm. Sorry I missed yeh, Maclean. As it was, I blew off class Saturday afternoon (did I write that?) & walked around the town.

My previous exeriences in Texas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio) always left me wondering just what it was that Texans were so proud of; I won't elaborate. Austin, OTOH, is a hip, beautiful town. Really good restaurants, nice hills, Lake Travis is awesome (good windsurfing), & the music scene is incredible. I can see why Paul likes it. I could live there.

Originally posted by Brian G.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Brian G's double stick tape wear out again?

I only use that to keep my massive manhood from frightening the women-folk. [:-bigeyes [:D][:-dev3][:I][:-eyebrow

Brian G.

a.k.a. "Brian the Lion" [:-mischie

So thats why you had duct tape in your Dapp kit![:-bigeyes[:-paperba

Originally posted by hausdok

Oy,

How embarrassing. I fixed it. Must be the Alzheimer's. I keep catching myself using 'hour' when I mean 'our'. Must be some kind of synonym switch in the head that degrades with age. What I want to know is how come none of these other characters didn't even bother to tell me about it. Jeez!

OT - OF!!!

M.

Since no one told you about write/right and it upset you, please accept my suggestion of changing synonym to homonym.