Intro

Hello-

New here and I am looking into getting my HI certification and then finding somewhere to work part-time since I have a full time job. I am looking to attend a school this summer.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know.

Also, those who have HI businesses, do you hire people to work weekends? I wonder if this is typical or do you want full time employees.

Once again, a warm hello.

Hi,

Welcome to TIJ. Check out some of the past discussions here in this and other categories and you'll find lots of discussions about getting into the business, marketing tips, discussions on mentoring, etc..

Believe me, you can read for weeks on this site, never chime in on a single conversation, yet learn a ton here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hello-

Also, those who have HI businesses, do you hire people to work weekends? I wonder if this is typical or do you want full time employees.

Once again, a warm hello.

I would say that about 80% to 90% of the home inspectors in the country are solo or single inspector businesses with no employees. Look at the franchises (Amerispec, Pillar to Post, WIN) they tend to have multiple inspectors.

If you havn't already, you need to go to the licensing board website and review the requirements to become a home inspector. If you plan on becomeing an Associate Inspector, you only have to April 1 to complete the requirements. The associate program has been phased out.

Here is a link to the minimum requirements to become an NC HI.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/H ... Needed.pdf

If you believe taking a 2 week course from any HI school will make you qualified, the licensing board does not.

© Graduation in a home inspection course from a training institute or correspondence school is not sufficient to meet the equivalent experience alone. However, such courses may be listed along with other experience.

358 home inspectors statewide did not renew or put their license in inactive status last October during licensing renewal deadline. There are only 1085 active licenses out of 1723 total licenses. Yeah I know the math does not work because there were already some licenseees in the inactive status.

Here is a link to the full story

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/H ... letter.pdf

Most home inspector are scrambling to get enough jobs to feed themselves. Hiring on any help, part time or full time is a very low probability. Go to the NCHLIA website to find the nearest association chapter meeting in your area. It will give you a chance to meet the other inspectors in you area. If you want to go on a ride-along, this is your best source. http://www.nclhia.com/content/nclhia-chapters

The best advice right now is KEEP THE DAY JOB!

Thanks for the replies. Oh I know the class does not make you qualified but I think taking the class will help certainly since I have no experience in the field. Not looking to quit the day job one bit. Just looking to find someone that would entertain the thought of allowing me to work every so often and learn along the way until I can get 100 under my belt in the next 14 years where i can retire from my full-time job and start a side business.

I did not know if a HI business hired part-timers and allowed them to work and learn until they could be on their own?????

I will certainly continue to look into this field and see what can be done.

If you havn't already, you need to go to the licensing board website and review the requirements to become a home inspector. If you plan on becomeing an Associate Inspector, you only have to April 1 to complete the requirements. The associate program has been phased out.

Here is a link to the minimum requirements to become an NC HI.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/H ... Needed.pdf

If you believe taking a 2 week course from any HI school will make you qualified, the licensing board does not.

© Graduation in a home inspection course from a training institute or correspondence school is not sufficient to meet the equivalent experience alone. However, such courses may be listed along with other experience.

358 home inspectors statewide did not renew or put their license in inactive status last October during licensing renewal deadline. There are only 1085 active licenses out of 1723 total licenses. Yeah I know the math does not work because there were already some licenseees in the inactive status.

Here is a link to the full story

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/H ... letter.pdf

Most home inspector are scrambling to get enough jobs to feed themselves. Hiring on any help, part time or full time is a very low probability. Go to the NCHLIA website to find the nearest association chapter meeting in your area. It will give you a chance to meet the other inspectors in you area. If you want to go on a ride-along, this is your best source. http://www.nclhia.com/content/nclhia-chapters

The best advice right now is KEEP THE DAY JOB!

And study! I held a license in NC along with VA, because I thought I might retire on the Outer Banks. Out of the 1723 licenses, I was number 1509. I finally let it go a few years back when I discoverd Sandbridge, VA, which is more like the Outer Banks used to be - quiet.

Truth be told, I thought the ASHI and NAHI-CRI test were about neck and neck. The NC test was tougher than both of them.