Delaminated architectural shingles

Marc

New construction. 12/12 pitch roof. What could have caused this delamination? They occurred only midway across the width of the shingle, not on either side. Not the whole roof, just in a couple large areas. Occasional bad bundle? Consequences of allowing them to remain in place?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011326191639_013.jpg

88.31 KB

Marc

New construction. 12/12 pitch roof. What could have caused this delamination? They occurred only midway across the width of the shingle, not on either side. Not the whole roof, just in a couple large areas. Occasional bad bundle? Consequences of allowing them to remain in place?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011326191639_013.jpg

88.31 KB

Marc

Those sure look like proud nails.

Poor storage of the bundle. Someone set the bundle on a 2x4 or something similar and the shingles took a set. What you're seeing isn't delamination, but distortion in the shingle that never settled down.

Put a dime-size daub of mastic under each of those spots then set a brick on each one. They'll settle down and never be a problem. If you leave them like this, wind-blown rain will go between the shingles, rust out the fasteners and might cause trouble. Wind might also grab them.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks fellas. Jim, that reminds me - Roofers here usually pile bundles over the ridge and leave them there overnight before installing in the mornings. That woulda caused them deformities in the shingles. Beautiful[:-thumbu].

Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_201132620615_002.jpg

51.83 KB

Put a dime-size daub of mastic under each of those spots then set a brick on each one.

You and my dad are the only two people I've ever "heard" use the word daub.

He would especially like your solution, I think!

Huh,

I write it in reports all the time. It makes more sense than saying plunk or goop.

Marc, if you dig deep enough here, you might be able to find photos of a collapsed house where roofers had piled all of their shingles up along the ridge in preparation for a roof job. If you find it, print it out and the next time you see a job where some horse's ass with teeth did that, stick copies in their windshields.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Nails working up/out? Usually due to insufficient ventilation..? Just an idea..

No. The laminated shingles were separated between the layers. Lower layer remained flat on the roof.

I've written it up. Fix it. This here's a hurricane prone area, 110 mph wind zone. I also mentioned that the manufacturer's warranty might be voided on account of this. Plenty enough reason to fix it.

Sometimes I feel like a fisherman, the bigger they are, the more there are, the better. It translates my fees into service.

Marc

Here's the write up:

Many shingles exhibit a condition usually caused by allowing bundles of shingles to sit on the ridge of the roof for too long prior to installing them on the roof surface. This condition will increase the vulnerability of the shingle to hurricane force winds, leading to early failure and may void the manufacturer's warranty.

6) Replace any distorted shingles.

Marc