A new one for me

charlieb

Drawing on the brain trust here. One of my inspectors came across this today. He called me to come take a look at it.

As best as I can tell it's a series of cement panels, covered with a mesh and portland based coating, sealed with a elastomeric product and a coat of white paint.

As the photos show, the edges are in poor condition and there are cracks that extend through the portland coating.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224511_IMG_2741.jpg

46.84 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224529_IMG_2742.jpg

53.32 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224545_IMG_2746.jpg

38.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141422464_IMG_2748.jpg

34.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224622_IMG_2749.jpg

58.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224644_IMG_2752.jpg

64.35 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201141422476_IMG_2751.jpg

69.59 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011414224733_IMG_2754.jpg

37.16 KB

Educate me.

Jeez, a cement/concrete roof. I ain't never hear'd tell of such.

All I can think is to be very frank about how unusual and unpredictable this roof is, and how bad things could get if it goes horribly wrong while they own it. Can you imagine what it might cost to remove that sucker and replace it with something normal? I would also say something like "It's far more likely to leak than to not leak, now, later, or sometime".

Brian G.

Bizzaro Roofing Inc.

Ya'll are on my concerns. WHO would even know how to repair, if it can be, properly? A member of the AIA owns the house. Sorry SH.

Good to see my fellow redneck posting.

At this point we plan to document the damaged areas and tell the client to have a deep pocket to be able to install something conventional.

Scott this is on the south side of Main Harbor. Just down from the party boat.

The guy rely on me, and I on ya'll at time, when the run into something odd. I just had to drop by and look at this house.

Below are a couple of comments my guy asked for help on.

1. Roof covering status:

I take it you have described it. --- There is a substantial amount of damage on the edges of this roof system. There are also cracks in the surface of the material. they will eventually allow water to enter the attic but I found no water entering the attic space today. Considering the roof’s condition and its unusual composition, I recommend you have the funds set aside to remove all of this material and install a more conventional roof system.

2. Walls Material:

Thin, approximately ½Ã¢â‚¬

I bet it's light weight material - using something like perlite for an aggregate. Such mixes were being experimented a lot in the 80's. It might even have Calcium Aluminate Cement, which is known more for use in refractory applications, but due to it's fast setting time, is also used by such gangs as DOT for concrete pavement patching (or at least it used to be). Another benefit of this cement is it doesn't react with much, which may explain why the expanded metal mesh isn't rusted all to hell.

The downside to perlite as an aggregate, though, is that the it's a pretty consistent granular size - no fines. So, there would be some unavoidable voids which could hold water. The setup would rely heavily on a good outer covering. That may explain why the edges look like they do - moisture intrusion and freeze / thaw cycles.

I fooled around with the stuff myself back then. It goes to full strength in a matter of hours, so proper curing is critical.

Hi,

When I saw the photo the first thing I thought of was those homes with stone roofs (soapstone) in the Caribbean. Don't you guys remember the This Old House series of episodes about a decade ago where they rebuilt a pretty beat up house in Bermuda (?) and went to the quarry to cut the stone used for the roof? Weren't those lapped like that and then coated with a thin layer of concrete?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Basically I found who I believe the manufacturer of the product. The edges are in need of repair and the coating needs to be reworked. I have no idea what this involves and provided him with the info to contact the manufacturer.

I also found a research paper one the maintenance and repair of the product. They only wanted $40 for the paper. I'll let him buy that.

I wish I could sow into the trust more but that's what I have.

Basically I found who I believe the manufacturer of the product. The edges are in need of repair and the coating needs to be reworked. I have no idea what this involves and provided him with the info to contact the manufacturer.

I also found a research paper one the maintenance and repair of the product. They only wanted $40 for the paper. I'll let him buy that.

I wish I could sow into the trust more but that's what I have.

Rats... I was hoping to learn of its composition. Yeah, I saw the same $39.00 report... What!? $39.00?... nah... Lol...