In Alberta They Think They've Found a Better Way

hausdok

May 15, 2011/Kenmore, WA

The news this week, at least for home inspectors operating in Alberta, is that they are now regulated. According to an article in The Edmonton Journal, the new rules only apply to inspectors doing inspection on resale homes.

In a nutshell, the new rules state:

• licensed inspectors must carry $1 million in E & O and post a $10,000 bond to cover consumer losses if they "fail to do a their jobs."
  • limits of liability in contracts are banned
  • inspectors must meet specific minimum educational requirements
  • inspectors can be prosecuted under the Fair Trading Act, with a maximum fine of $100,000
  • inspection of structure, electrical system, heating, insulation and plumbing are required but "building envelopes" are excluded. Consumers must hire a "qualified engineer" to inspect those.
  • inspectors who already hold the Registered Home Inspector credential or Certified Master Inspector designation are grandfathered, as are graduates of the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.
  • inspectors who don't qualify for grandfathering may apply for a conditional license while they are working to become qualified. That conditional license is valid through March 2013.
According to a government official that was quoted, the Alberta government had consulted on the issue for two years. The article is entitled "Home Buyers Get More Protection." One has to wonder who is protecting the hapless inspector from home buyers that have a dollar sign agenda.

To read more, click here.

Well intended and misguided legislation, rationalized by "we've talked about it for 2 years".

No building envelope? And, why only engineers? By their rule, a petroleum or electrical engineer is competent to inspect the building envelope. What about someone with a degree in Building Science or some other Construction Technology degree? I guess not.

Required insurance is fine with me; I've carried since 1989. Bond? They're relatively inexpensive. Go ahead. It keeps out people that aren't serious.

Just like the building industry, our government regulators are guided by the least competent practitioners, folks that don't know anything about it but are sure they do.

At first glance, one would think the mandates would allow HIs to charge more for their services, but . . . if I were buying a house in Alberta, I'd choose the least expensive schmuck I could find. The 10K is a performance bond, not a fidelity bond. That, and the 1M E&O, pretty much serves as a bumper to bumper warranty.

Too, I wonder who makes the call on whether someone failed to do his job or not?

Alberta HI's have until September to speak up.

CMI's are NACHI inspectors with 1000 jobs under their belt. The word is there are 15 of them in Alta. There may be many more as the months progress.

Like Kurt said, there are stumblebums in charge. Stubblejumpers in suits. [:)]

At first glance, one would think the mandates would allow HIs to charge more for their services, but . . . if I were buying a house in Alberta, I'd choose the least expensive schmuck I could find. The 10K is a performance bond, not a fidelity bond. That, and the 1M E&O, pretty much serves as a bumper to bumper warranty.

Too, I wonder who makes the call on whether someone failed to do his job or not?

Good point about the distinction between bonds.

It's open season in Alberta.........

Here's some more info. Naturally, the journalists are struggling with their own interpretations of what the rules will be. Hopefully, intelligent forces will prevail, and they will get it right by 2013.

May 12, 2011

Alberta Government establishes standards for home inspectors

As of September 1, 2011, home inspection businesses and individual home inspectors must obtain a licence from the provincial government.

Qualifications for a home inspector licence

* Inspectors must have a degree, diploma or certificate in home inspection from an approved educational institution and successfully complete a test inspection. The government currently recognizes the Carson Dunlop & Associates curriculum offered by SAIT and will evaluate other courses that become available in Alberta.

* Inspectors are automatically qualified for a licence if they hold a Registered Home Inspector designation from the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors; or a Certified Master Inspector designation from the Master Inspector Certification Board, Inc., affiliated with the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

* Inspectors who do not meet these requirements may apply for a conditional licence valid until March 31, 2013 to give them time to acquire the necessary qualifications.

Standards for home inspections

The Home Inspection Business Regulation establishes basic requirements that home inspections must include, unless the consumer specifically agrees otherwise. Inspections must address the condition of a home’s:

* Roofing, flashings or chimney;

* Exterior, including lot gradings, walkways, driveways, retaining walls, patios and decks;

* Structure;

* Electrical;

* Heating, heat pumps and cooling;

* Insulation;

* Plumbing; and

* Interior.

Inspectors can make recommendations on any deficiencies they identify, such as suggesting the consumer obtain an expert opinion, but are prohibited from estimating the cost of any repairs or improvements.

Alberta HI's have until September to speak up.

CMI's are NACHI inspectors with 1000 jobs under their belt. The word is there are 15 of them in Alta. There may be many more as the months progress.

Like Kurt said, there are stumblebums in charge. Stubblejumpers in suits. [:)]

Not all have 1000 inspections....! Heck when Nick started the CMI a few years ago he gave the designation out to anyone and everyone. If I recall to be a CMI a person does not even need to have completed an inspection if they would attest to having 1000 hours of CE or somthing like that.

Do some research on many of those CMI holders, many have been in business for less than 3-4 years.

Thanks Scott.

I was thinking that it would be easy enough to claim 10000 jobs well done.

I got bigger fish to fry, as they say. We just got Licensing here in BC 2 years ago and the govt agency in charge is just now establishing some protocols. Luckily, they have been communicating with the HI associations, CAHPI(BC) being the largest.

Funny thing, in BC, they are not acknowledging iNACHI, but are accepting the new upstarts, CANACHI, on the assurance that the HI's are all edjamcated good enuff.

Alberta joke, blue jeans and a denim jacket? That's the Canadian tuxedo.

But that was back when oil was only $30/barrel. Edmonton nowadays is more like Dallas-of-the-North.[:)]