Q. for Little Giant users

I am looking at purchasing this ladder:

When watching the demo, the guy makes the ladder look very easy to operate. Is it really that smooth and easy to operate with a little practice?

The reason I want this ladder is that it is light weight for this type, will replace my step ladder, and I can use it instead of pulling my extension ladder out on single level homes. I looked at the Jaws ladders as well, but they're about double the price, and look like they take a little longer to set up.

I bought the 22 foot and I love it. It only take seconds to configure it for use. It's really handy for these newer homes with really high ceiling in the garage. Extend it into the A frame and you're able to enter the attic hatch np.

If I had it to do over again I'd choose the fiberglass model though (electrical safety).

We have LGs at the day job, and I have Werners for the HI gig. The 300lb Werners are heavier, but they don't bounce under my weight like the 250lb LGs do. A couple of our LGs are a tad tough to operate but those are approaching 15 years of hard service.

On my last inspection the MT17 got me onto the garage roof, then I pulled it up behind me folded it into a step to get me the 4' from the ridge onto the upper roof. The only flaw in this plan was that the RE had to help me set the ladder when I sent it back over the edge of the garage roof. Fortunately she was paying attention.

I have an LG 17 that is my workhorse ladder, I think I bought it back in 1998. It sits in the back of my pickup 24/7 exposed to anything and everything. I clean and lube it a few times a year and it still works great.

Be sure you practice opening, extending and closing it in the privacy of your own home before you do it in public! They are easy to use but can be very unforgiving if your hand or finger is in the wrong place. I also wear gloves now when I get out the LG, makes it a little easier on me handling a hot or cold ladder since it sits in the back of my truck.

Be sure you practice opening, extending and closing it in the privacy of your own home before you do it in public!

That's the best advice here.

You should also practice extending it full length and try standing it up a few times.

I wish someone videoed me the first time I tried that. Harold Lloyd would have been proud.

Great, thanks guys.

The reason I'm leaning towards the LG is that it looks like the latching mechanism is easier to use. The sale price on it is only $199.00, which isn't much more than the Werner and other brands. It comes with a free leveler and something else as well.

Right now I'm using my brothers Cosco 17 footer, and it seems to work alright. I'm just hoping the LG is easier to operate.

I know what you mean about practicing as well. I felt like a fool setting up the Cosco the other day. While the agent and buyer weren't there, I was worried that neighbors were laughing at me while in the safety of their own homes.

Jaws. If you ever climbed one, you'd see why. Two tapered knuckle joints that lock into place. I squeeze the two sides together with one hand and spin the nut tight with the other. The second wing nut is redundant, because the sides are locked with one nut tight. I respect all the LG users out there, but I will never buy one - too shaky. Too heavy.

Sorry for butting in.

I have an LG 17 that is my workhorse ladder, I think I bought it back in 1998. It sits in the back of my pickup 24/7 exposed to anything and everything. I clean and lube it a few times a year and it still works great.

Be sure you practice opening, extending and closing it in the privacy of your own home before you do it in public! They are easy to use but can be very unforgiving if your hand or finger is in the wrong place. I also wear gloves now when I get out the LG, makes it a little easier on me handling a hot or cold ladder since it sits in the back of my truck.

What do you use to lube it Scott?

80 inches (6'8") folded up, 31 inches at the widest point. I use a 2005 Ford Explorer and it fits in the back with the one back seat down and the passenger seat pulled up as close as I can get it to the dash. I wouldn't let anyone ever ride in the passenger seat with a ladder in like that because if someone hits you from behind, the ladder will be a battering ram. And yeah, it can be a heavy ladder, but for me it's still easier than swinging a 12 or 14 foot extension ladder around, and putting the wheels on it sure helped. I also carry the 12.5 Extend-and-climb, the 300 lb version. Between the two, I do OK. I started out with a LG 17, still have it, just no room to carry it also. Maybe if I - - -

Rob:

I have the big Little Giant and hate it. I'm about to relegate it to just hedge trimming duty and get a 28' extension ladder.

It's heavy, but that I can deal with. The main problem is that you have to extend it on the ground, then stand it up. To do this, you need to plant the feet against the foundation of the house, steps or something else solid, then walk it up. Sometimes with trees and wires overhead, you can't place the ladder where you want it and sometimes can't use it at all.

Then, moving it when it's extended is scary. Don't even try it if there's any appreciable wind. Again, overhead obstructions often block your path, so you then have to take it down, move it, then stand it up again. On a hot, humid day, that saps your energy pretty quick.

Ironically, this past Saturday I was going to shoot a video of me extending the big one when I finished the inspection. The roof on that vacant house was steeper than I will walk, so I looked at it from the four sides. Obstructions made me take it the ladder down every time I moved it. That helped contribute to my exhaustion by the end of the inspection so I decided to go right home and jump in the pool instead of shooting a stupid video.

What do you use to lube it Scott?

White lithium grease seems to work the best. It does not attract dirt and grim, it is also what the LG sales guy said to use at Inspection World several years back. Spray it on and wipe any excess off.

As a break from doing reports, I shot some video of me setting up the big LG in my backyard. Flickr must have a time limit on videos, because it stops at 1:30.

You can see it's kind of cumbersome to use. Keep in mind, at 6' 0" and 265 lbs, I'm not a small guy. I can't imagine somebody much shorter and lighter using it alone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspectorjoe/5912603534

The LG manual say to lube the moving parts with light machine oil, specifically mentioning WD-40. That's what I use, about twice a year and it seems to work great.

Joe, don't take this wrong, but wtf was in your mind that winter day that made you decide it was the right time to go outside and set up a ladder while videotaping yourself? I don't even like setting a up a ladder for money and you do it for free, for fun and with no lofty goals? If I set up a ladder, I want to get somewhere.

Finally, let's assume that ,for some reason, one day I set up a ladder while videotaping myself even though I wasn't going to climb the ladder- I'm pretty sure that tape would stay in my library for my private viewing pleasure. In fact, I'm positive it would be a carefully guarded secret.

Face it Joe, you can never run for public office.

What can I say, Chad? I'm guilty of enjoying perverse pleasures. Til now, it's been a well kept secret, but sometimes when my wife isn't around, I go out in the garage and for no obvious reason, take the deadfront off my breaker panel. It's an older ITE Pushmatic panel. The cover is a piece of heavy steel. It just feels sooo good in my hands. Say, I don't think I ever videotaped myself doing it ...........

Joe, Watch the instruction video on teh LG site about raising the LG ladder as an extension ladder. It shows an easer method to extending the ladder. Might save you some work.

What I do is open from a step into an extension ladder. Stand the ladder vertically. Lean the ladder back and walk backwards until I reach the catches. Unlock and extend the top section and lock in place. Walk the ladder into a vertical position. Now you have 3/4 the height vertical. Unlock the lower section and lift the upper from inside the lower section. Lock off and lean against the house.

Joe, Watch the instruction video on teh LG site about raising the LG ladder as an extension ladder. It shows an easer method to extending the ladder. Might save you some work.

What I do is open from a step into an extension ladder. Stand the ladder vertically. Lean the ladder back and walk backwards until I reach the catches. Unlock and extend the top section and lock in place. Walk the ladder into a vertical position. Now you have 3/4 the height vertical. Unlock the lower section and lift the upper from inside the lower section. Lock off and lean against the house.

Yeah, that's how I do it too; I've found it to be a LOT easier than opening the thing all the way up, bracing the bottom against something and then walking it up.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Bruce & Mike:

You can't extend the model 26 that way. The bottom latches are 6' above the ground. You can reach them, but there's no way you could push the rest of the ladder up and latch it while keeping it balanced. No way.

I couldn't find a video on the LG site or their YouTube channel demonstrating how to extend a model 26.

If I go with a LG, is there any model I should not buy? There's so many options......

Better yet, is there a reason to buy a 300 dollar LG vs. this 199 dollar LG, such as is there is a much better latching mechanism (excluding the XE version)? The only difference I see is that there is a type 1 vs. type 1A rating. I'm only 6' 200lbs, so I don't want the extra weight of the 1A.