Tackling a Block and Tackle job

We're laying new engineered hardwood, and the water heater is parked in a closet, right on the subfloor, no drain pan. Here's how I rigged a lift for the tank. I fashioned a custom pan out of aluminum flashing and slipped it under. The pan has a hole punched in it corresponding with an existing hole in the subfloor. Silicone at the hole and at the corners.

For non-Boy Scouts (non-Sea Cadets), the knot on the right is a bowline, the knots on the left and around the two tank stubs are clove hitches. The friction of the rope over the 2X2 helped hold the tank up while I tied it off. [:)]

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011827194513_08-27-11%20001.jpg

33.96 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011827194543_08-27-11%20002.jpg

24.31 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011827194610_08-27-11%20003.jpg

23.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011827194634_08-27-11%20004.jpg

35.19 KB

Do I get a MacGyver Badge for that, or what?

The tank is empty right?

Marc

Yep. It's actually pretty light empty, but there was some resistance from the pipes. The idea was to just levitate the tank a couple of inches without doing any plumbing work.

The closet is 20" deep, and the tank is 20" in diameter. A homemade pan was the only way, and it had to be slipped in under the tank. I folded the corners, origami style.

Half inch pipe works ok. We're conservative folks up here. I won't be changing anything that isn't leaking.