Humidifier Element

Bain

Today is the first truly cold day this winter, so I decided to fire up my humidifier, a Honeywell TruSteam. Almost predictably, the error lights illuminated and the thing refused to operate.

There was scale in all the water ports, and the heating element was nearly completely coated with gunk. The instructions say to use a scouring pad to clean the element, but that's nearly impossible due to the small grooves, especially since the element can't be removed.

My solution? Fill a plastic tub with vinegar and let the thing soak. Does anyone have a better idea, though? The humidifier is only two years old, and the filter was replaced last season, so it's not as if there's years and years of neglect to contend with.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201212161852_DSC06073.jpg

32.12 KB

Well, but the vinegar actually did the trick, and the humidifier is working like it's supposed to.

Interestingly, this is only the second occasion I'm aware of in which Jim Katen was wrong. The other occasion was when he told me I had a bright future ahead of me and would no doubt be a tremendous success.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20121218421_DSC06074.jpg

43.25 KB

Well, but the vinegar actually did the trick, and the humidifier is working like it's supposed to.

Interestingly, this is only the second occasion I'm aware of in which Jim Katen was wrong. The other occasion was when he told me I had a bright future ahead of me and would no doubt be a tremendous success.

Click to Enlarge

43.25?KB

That's impressive - clean as a whistle. I wouldn't have expected it to do that well myself. [:-thumbu]

Click to Enlarge

43.25?KB

Well, I guess I've got to stop buying the cheap-ass on-sale vinegar from the remainder bin.

Off the shelf white distilled vinegar contains 5% acetic acid. We buy around 400 gallons ( the smallest quantity available) every other year of specially brewed to order 17% acetic acid white vinegar to use for weed control in our organic blueberry operation. It also dispatches the rubber bits in a back pack sprayer rather readily, and if you get it on your skin, it's best to at least wipe it off.

Our rows are 600 feet long. One sprays down one side and then back up the other. By the time you get back to the top of the row, the stuff on the other side is visibly browned and wilting.

The vinegar plant is close enough for me to pick up the product. There are cases of empty bottles that re-sellers send to the plant with their label already affixed. A plant employee inverts the cases into a machine. The upside down bottles pass over an air jet that helps to clean out any debris that didn't fall out. Then the bottles are tipped upright, filled, capped and at the other end of the line replaced to their box. Store brands and gourmet vinegars with fancy labels are all filled from the same tap with the same product- often for the same customer trying to exploit both ends of the market demographic.

Click to Enlarge

43.25?KB

Well, I guess I've got to stop buying the cheap-ass on-sale vinegar from the remainder bin.

Bain's Xtra Strenth Coil Cleaner. It should be hitting the shelves down your way in a month or two. [:)]

Kentucky Koil Kleaner. Look for the jug with the triple X. (3 K's crossed out) [:)]

• 2 months later...