Low Voltage track lighting

rong

We have 277V for our lighting fixtures. I installed a low voltage track light with three 50W bulbs. I have a 300W step down transformer from 277V to 12V. I read 27V to the end of the track (connection point) but nothing at the track itself. No lights work obviously because the track has no power it seems.

That's who installed it!

Call a better one? Maybe you'll have better luck if you change your name; it can't be right if it's rong?

I think it might be Ron G. Just saying. [:-graduat

(I used to work with a guy named Wright. My favourite remark for a while:"How could a guy named Wright be so Wrong?")

To the OP: You said it was a 12 volt transformer, but you measure 27 volts?

You said you installed it but then an electrician did?

There may be a bad connection, but there also may be a mismatch which might burn up your light bulbs.

If the transformer steps 120 volts down to 12, hooking 277 volts to the primary would give you 27 volts on the secondary.

We have 277V for our lighting fixtures. I installed a low voltage track light with three 50W bulbs. I have a 300W step down transformer from 277V to 12V. I read 27V to the end of the track (connection point) but nothing at the track itself. No lights work obviously because the track has no power it seems.

Are you sure its not a 24v transformer you installed?

I hope youre working in a commercial building with that kind of voltage for the lighting.

And I guess my biggest question is why are you asking this on a home inspectors forum? [:-hspin]

Almost forgot,the reason youre probably not reading any voltage on the track itself is because you only have power on the topside of bottem rail,not on the bottem of it.

Of course you being an electrician would know that right?

That's who installed it!

Call a better one? Maybe you'll have better luck if you change your name; it can't be right if it's rong?

I think it might be Ron G. Just saying. [:-graduat

(I used to work with a guy named Wright. My favourite remark for a while:"How could a guy named Wright be so Wrong?")

To the OP: You said it was a 12 volt transformer, but you measure 27 volts?

You said you installed it but then an electrician did?

There may be a bad connection, but there also may be a mismatch which might burn up your light bulbs.

If the transformer steps 120 volts down to 12, hooking 277 volts to the primary would give you 27 volts on the secondary.

Hooking 277v to the 120v taps of a multi tap transformer would more likely take the transformer out imediately if not sooner [:-yuck]