Ladder work, like running with scissors

I fell the other day, but I was at ground level, carrying the 28' extension ladder. I was maneuvering between the 2 storey house and the fence, trying to watch both ends so as not to scrape the wall or the fence, and I stepped into a sunken patio and wiped out. I knew the step was there, but got caught up in the inspection process and forgot to watch my feet too.

I twisted my left ankle, smacked my left knee on the concrete and twisted my right knee a bit. The ladder came down hard and woke up sleeping babies all over the neighborhood.

I was able to limp upstairs and do the kitchen while the aches went down, then went back out and finished off the roof check. This was a steep roof, so I was just going around the house with the ladder.

I wasn't badly damaged, not looking for sympathy. I just want to remind everybody to expect the unexpected.

Reminds me of a contractor that we do buisness with. After working on many roofs, open ended stairways, and various other areas where he could have easily been killed in a fall, he was on the second rung of a step ladder and lost his balance and fell. He broke his shoulder, ribs, and an elbow. He has never felt the same.

Hope you are OK soon.

Glad to hear you're ok.

I've gotten into the habit of keeping my knees bent when walking around with a ladder on my shoulder. Don't know why, but it's easier to recover from a misstep that way.

I might try that. Sounds like a way to get a young guy to run over and help the old codger all stooped over with the ladder. [:)]