flashing at deck cantilever

John Dirks Jr

The first three pictures are of the house I inspected. For reference, the other two are of construction under way across the street.

I did not see flashing extending over the ledger/ledger joist. I can't verify that water can't get behind it and cause damage. In looking at these pictures, would you say that it's reasonable to have a concern about water getting behind the ledger?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1230385.JPG

1603.11 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1230384.JPG

1605 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1230377.JPG

1549.55 KB

These two are uncompleted units across the street.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1230428.JPG

1534.23 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1230429.JPG

1539.32 KB

I Dont know your codes but in victoria for solid surface decks you need a flashing up the wall about 5'' with siding acting as a counter flash, 2% slope and a gutter or internal drain. the ledger does not need flashing unless its plank decking, and then is usually double flashed with a gap behind allowing for drying potential(usually treated plwood or galv washers) .

I dont know if that helps

The first three pictures are of the house I inspected. For reference, the other two are of construction under way across the street.

I did not see flashing extending over the ledger/ledger joist. I can't verify that water can't get behind it and cause damage. In looking at these pictures, would you say that it's reasonable to have a concern about water getting behind the ledger?

Absolutely. Ponder this: if the caulking was omitted, would water get behind the siding?

Caulking is not flashing.

Marc

Thanks for all the input everyone.

The report went out last night at about 7pm. It included concerns specific to water intrusion potential at the balcony to house junction. I also showed the issue to the client onsite at the inspection and showed her where to look for water stains that might show up in the ceiling of the garage.