What is this for?

Robert Jones

That was a Square D fuse box, but it has been converted to house that transformer. There are 7 or 8 low voltage circuits heading off to different places, so my guess would be low voltage light switches. Were the light switches odd-looking?

If they were for the switch loops, then where were the relays that they'd control? Or might the lighting circuits themselves have been low voltage?

It's certainly a curiosity.

All of the light switches were the older "push" type...

When you say "push" type, do you mean rocker switches like any of these?

discontinued_low_voltage_switches.jpg

If yes, then I would be pretty sure it's a low voltage switching system transformer.

If they were for the switch loops, then where were the relays that they'd control?
I've seen quite a few systems that have the relays attached to the individual fixtures.

Maybe that's not a transformer. Looks like they are red and green wires for telephone use. Maybe this is the demarcation point for telco.

Well, it's definitely a transformer, but telephones need to have step-down transformers to work so it could be for a phone system.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike