Timber retaining wall

In a few weeks, I'll be helping a friend build a small retaining wall out of RXR ties. Bout 3-4ft tall. I was hoping one of you fine gents might have a detail of a good drainage system. We (he) can't decide if we will use flex corrugated, or hardline PVC.

Also, any tips for building a awesome, stand the test of time wall?

In a few weeks, I'll be helping a friend build a small retaining wall out of RXR ties. Bout 3-4ft tall. I was hoping one of you fine gents might have a detail of a good drainage system. We (he) can't decide if we will use flex corrugated, or hardline PVC.

PVC? I like perforated sewer & drain tile (S&D), which, I believe is styrene. Put the holes facing down. Use lots of drain rock & filter fabric.

Also, any tips for building a awesome, stand the test of time wall?

Don't use railroad ties. Carpenter ants will come from miles around to live in them and they'll rot from the inside out.

They're free, that's why he wants to use them. There also not going to be anywhere near the house (I'd guess 30 yrds or so away). It's a wooded fall off lot, and we're simply trying to level the back yard a bit.

I'd never guess termites who be that attracted to those creosote soaked ties.

They're free, that's why he wants to use them. There also not going to be anywhere near the house (I'd guess 30 yrds or so away). It's a wooded fall off lot, and we're simply trying to level the back yard a bit.

The creosate has mostly leached out by now. That's why the railroad has replaced them. Termites won't eat the new ones.

Marc

Free is not always a good price.

Carpenter ants, not termites. Out here, we refer to RR tie retaining walls as carpenter ant condos.

Also, for a carpenter ant, 30 yards isn't very far. It's not ususual for a parent nest to be 100 yards away from a satellite nest.

They're pretty amazing creatures; but they've never learned to read English, so I'm certain they've never read the literature that warns that exposure to creosote can lead to cancer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They're pretty amazing creatures; but they've never learned to read English, so I'm certain they've never read the literature that warns that exposure to creosote can lead to cancer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Ha! Sometimes it feels like just about every chemical on this planet leads to cancer.