roof eave vents?

lucas980

I just bought an 80 plus year old house.

It had vermiculite with asbestos in the attic that was removed last week.

With the super clean attic space I can now see daylight at the eaves...I think this line of venting was under insulation before. Is this a vent?

Was it put there on purpose or is it a bad sign that the roof is coming off?

If it is meant to be there, any tips on how to handle the re insulation?

I'm guessing you're just seeing some daylight through the eaves.

If there are dedicated vents, you'd be seeing something relatively uniform around the perimeter in the form of a strip vent, or obvious openings evenly spaced in the soffits.

Per Kurt's observations ... when you go outside and look up at the eaves are there vents at spaced locations or a similar vent of some sort that would synch up with the 'daylight' you see in the attic?

Regardless ... you "should" have vents in the eaves and when the replacement insulation is placed be sure that the company places "baffles" in the eave (in the attic) so the new insulation does not cover up the path of air flow from those soffit (eave) vents into and through the attic for adequate ventilation.

As Jim noted ... images would be very helpful.

here is what im talking about

you can see a light strip under the words i put into the photo...

that is an almost uniform one inch gap down both sides of the roof.

fyi

there are two mushroom cap vents, and there are no under soffit vents...

it is raining today and except for one spot where the gap is filled with something like shims, everything is dry...only the shimmed spot has a little water coming in...

note: the nob and tube wiring isnt live

Click to Enlarge
tn_201261211624_daylight.jpg

35.45 KB

it is a steep picthed roof with no gable end vents

From the looks of the roof planks, it seems like it might need some ventilation improvements.

How about installing a ridge vent? With baffled openings at the eave and a ridge vent, natural convection would make a great ventilation system. What kind of shingles are on the roof?

if i choose to keep the current set up....how could i best protect against pests entering?

Depends. Are there any big trees nearby that would allow an animal access to the roof? If so, cut the branches way back away from the house.

After that, maybe mice could find it. Maybe. It's almost impossible to keep mice out of someplace they want to be in.

After that, wasps and hornets will build nests regardless.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on a pest control operator. They're mostly in the business of managing pests, not getting rid of them.

if i choose to keep the current set up....how could i best protect against pests entering?

Steel mesh screen, like the kind that is used for screened in porches. Investigate to see if there's a viable way to staple it in to reduce the incidence of pest intrusion.

In reality, eliminating pest intrusion is not likely attainable.

• 3 months later...

How about stapling some wire mesh or hardware cloth up there to block off spaces that are showing daylight? Probably not the permanent solution to your problems, but for now, will keep birds/pest from getting inside nesting and eventually taking over your house.

Looks like galvanized will be the cheapest material, so go with that. THis way if it doesnt work out the way that you wanted it to, its not that big of a deal.