PVC drain leg

allseason

Around here in some towns you cannot use CPVC on the TPRV extension. Over the winter I renovated a home. 100% new plumbing. All the old cast iron drains were replaced with PVC and the galvanized water lines were replaced with CPVC. On the new water heater I had CPVC on the TPRV extension. When the county came in to inspect they made me replace the extension with metal. It is a real head scratcher, here is a house with ever inch of water line made of CPVC and yet the extension had to be metal.

I suspect part of the reason was so they could charge me for another inspection to come back and confirm it was replaced w/ metal. $50.

Around here in some towns you cannot use CPVC on the TPRV extension. Over the winter I renovated a home. 100% new plumbing. All the old cast iron drains were replaced with PVC and the galvanized water lines were replaced with CPVC. On the new water heater I had CPVC on the TPRV extension. When the county came in to inspect they made me replace the extension with metal. It is a real head scratcher, here is a house with ever inch of water line made of CPVC and yet the extension had to be metal.

I suspect part of the reason was so they could charge me for another inspection to come back and confirm it was replaced w/ metal. $50.

IL State Plbg Code specifies metal ext. pipes only. Sect 890.1230 d) 3)

When the county came in to inspect they made me replace the extension with metal. It is a real head scratcher, here is a house with ever inch of water line made of CPVC and yet the extension had to be metal.

If you read the pressure/temperature specs on the CPVC pipe, you'll see that they are lower than the same specs on the TPRV.

Marc

There are plastic pipes manufactured specifically to be used as TPR extensions. I think all of the what-if scenarios that deal with this are silly. I bet it performs just as well as metal pipe when/if a TPR activates.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

From yesterday's job, tank installed by a plumber. I'd be a fool to call out all the plastic discharge pipes I see, lots of them.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012615151658_pipe1.jpg

20.9 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012615151730_pipe2.jpg

29.39 KB

100 degrees C is 212 F.

There are plastic pipes manufactured specifically to be used as TPR extensions. I think all of the what-if scenarios that deal with this are silly. I bet it performs just as well as metal pipe when/if a TPR activates.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

From yesterday's job, tank installed by a plumber. I'd be a fool to call out all the plastic discharge pipes I see, lots of them.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012615151658_pipe1.jpg

20.9?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012615151730_pipe2.jpg

29.39?KB

100 degrees C is 212 F.

...........I agree, however I would say something about the WH laying on its side[:-monkeyd.............Greg.