Nuthin fancy

gtblum

R311.5.6.3 Handrail grip size.

All required handrails shall be of one of the following types or provide equivalent graspability.

1. Type I. Handrails with a circular cross section shall have an outside diameter of at least 1? inches (32 mm) and not greater than 2 inches (51 mm). If the handrail is not circular it shall have a perimeter dimension of at least 4 inches (102 mm) and not greater than 6? inches (160 mm) with a maximum cross section of dimension of 2? inches(57 mm).

2. Type II. Handrails with a perimeter greater than 6? inches (160 mm) shall provide a graspable finger recess area on both sides of the profile. The finger recess shall begin within a distance of ? inch (19 mm) measured vertically from the tallest portion of the profile and achieve a depth of at least 5/16 inch (8 mm) within 7/8 inch (22 mm) below the widest portion of the profile. This required depth shall continue for at least 3/8 inch (10 mm) to a level that is not less than 1? inches (45 mm) below the tallest portion of the profile. The minimum width of the handrail above the recess shall be 1? inches (32 mm) to a maximum of 2?inches (70 mm). Edges shall have a minimum radius of 0.01 inch (0.25 mm).

The whole staircase is wrong and should have been replaced. The treads on the top run are only 9" to the end of the nosing.

I know the program. It was discussed. I'm a lot closer than it looks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012724221115_041.jpg

27.26?KB

Took some real pics today when I went back to put the plugs into the newel post, bolt holes.

That sticky sided cling wrap on the carpet, cost me $81.00 for a 200' roll. Figured it was cheaper than paying to have that stupid luxurious white carpet cleaned. The rest of the roll is for sale if anyone wants it.

FWIW. There isn't one stinking nail in the whole balustrade.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012724222130_034.jpg

54.75?KB

Nice work.

Are you worried about warpage or shrinkage,

Yes and no. The balusters in the top rail are 1 7/16. By the time I got to the other runs, things had changed so much, I had to bring every one of the balusters back here, plane another sixteenth, sand and stain them again, and re-run all of the fillet material on the jointer. Not a fun surprise.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be ok now. If not, I still have the recipe for replacement parts.

Good question, John.

Thanks, Phillip. I don't mind one little bit that you nailed me. It is what we do. Just proves you were paying attention.[;)]