Unusual radiator piping

Neal Lewis

This hydronic heating system has been converted from gravity to circulated with a pump. This seems to be the original piping at the radiators. There is no pipe at the other end of the radiator. There must be some type of internal flow control for the water to circulate through the radiator. Anybody seen this before?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201291821042_DSC03516.jpg

37.21 KB

I remember it being called a "Unique Valve" and I think it was made by Honeywell. It contains a double gate in the cylinder that either diverts water into the radiator in one position, or bypassing it when in the other position.

I think I have a diagram of this valve in a book somewhere. I'll look for it when I get done today.

That truly is a unique valve. Thanks, Bill.

And thanks, Tom, I have bookmarked the little Honeywell Booklet for a winter read. I wonder if some of their success in the business stemmed from their ability to explain so well how their systems worked? I can picture the family huddled around the stove while Dad read in the brochure how they were finally going to heat the whole house. [:)]