Main wire

prowannabe

This is why it's important to know what's wrong with it; kicking it to an electrician means it's going to their electrician, who probably did the work. They're not going to condemn themselves.

Unless you can line item what's wrong, and challenge the electrician to respond in writing to specifics, you're always going to get that sort of answer.

The electrician also has a conflict of interest. He benefits from the sale if he tells the client the panel needs replacement. Panel replacement is a quick money maker. That's enough for many of them to say 'ya gotta change it'.

I'm with Neal. Correct the double tap. I can't discern any issue with the disconnect from the photo alone.

Marc

My last report had this at the end of an electrical recommendation:

Don't listen to the electrician. Just tell him to do it.

Marc

unless your a highly proficient and a licensed master electrician that knows 100% about the electrical industry including theory and the electrical code and you never make a mistake I would leave that statement off the reports.. But for a person who never worked in one trade for more than what a year or two - I assume you know everything...............

42 year old home, overhead electrical entrance. Would you say this main panel is ok considering the age of the home or would you write it up as needing to be evaluated and repaired by an electrician?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012101317247_firmfoundationinspections35.jpg

36?KB

If you know it is wrong then leave off the evaluated part and write it up as correct the incorrect wiring.

Marc

unless your a highly proficient and a licensed master electrician that knows 100% about the electrical industry including theory and the electrical code and you never make a mistake I would leave that statement off the reports.. But for a person who never worked in one trade for more than what a year or two - I assume you know everything...............

I don't know everything. No one does.

As for your recommendation, would it be better to leave the issue to an electrician who knows only how to make a buck? That's my motivation for that statement. I've worked with many electricians and don't want to leave my client in their hands. It'll reflect poorly on me in the end.

Marc

Marc

You expect Harry Home-Owner to set an edict, a decree or proclamation issued by an authority and having the force of law, to tell the electrician to just "do it" based on their experience of an association with a home inspector? (you) that lasted less that 2 hours.

While the wording sounds tough think about it.

Yeah, well...happy to see I've awakened a few brethren. Yep, I was recommending to my client that he find an electrician to simply complete the instruction as I gave it or find one who will. That's something I do once in a while in my reports. And no Terry...I don't need to think about it any further, thanks.

BTW, I don't understand half of what you posted. Next time you might keep it down to the undergrad level.

Marc