Spyware clogging my PC..

Folks: My home PC (ME) was progressively getting more and more clogged with crap and freezing up. I thought I need to dump ME and get XP. I had a computer geek over here and he downloaded a 'spyware' detector (spybot) and found tons of crap in here that was eating this thing up. Since the 'first excorcism' and the subsequent ones, the ME is running like a top.

Thanks to a local company called "Geekhousecalls.com"..

Spyware Nuker.

I learned about this from Cramer, & he's always right (dammit). It costs money, but it allows more selective scrubbing of your system. I run it once a week & always find 20-30 spyware components hidden the cookies, or sometimes even deep in system files.

Ok on the routine defrag, scan disk, etc. The geek told me that doing that in 'Safe Mode" is a good idea by the way. Anyway, since these 'repairs', ME has worked. I was about to have the engine totally pulled on this bomber.

After having had numerous guys from India say in an Indian accent, "...ME is 'sheety' software.....unstable, man...".

• 1 month later...

I have a background in computer repairs and believe "ME" to be the worst OS ever released, It was designed to be an "in-between" operating system so they would have something new to market while they finished preparing Win2000 for release.

The driver files needed are not always compatable with Win98 or Win98se. By the end of 2000 MS wouldn't even provide new drivers for "ME". Not a very stable OS, a better bet would be Win98se, best yet would be WinXP Pro if your system is up to the task. XP like lots of system memory, the more the better. It will run slowly on a P3 600 with 128Megs of Ram (this machine)It's fast enough for the web and report writing but not for Video applications.

My Opinion: get rid of "ME" before it dies an unpleasant death at the wrong time.[:-banghead]

Ron

• 1 month later...

I also use spybot and works great, but I also use spywareblaster and it says its purpose is to prevent spyware from being installed onto your computer, so far so good on my laptop. I will add the link another day when I am on my laptop I have the link saved.

Scottpat:

You are incorrect when you say "ME is nothing more than a fancy Windows 98.". Not so, much of the operating system is from Win98 but many of the drivers for "ME" are not interchangable with Win98. Win98se is a FAR better OS than ME and it was released before ME. ME was a pseudo product that was released as something to sell between Win98se and Win2000.

XP is the current favorite OS by Microsoft. It is a good choice for us non MAC users. Don't flame me, it's a personal choice, MAC or PC.

Ron

I have been using spybot weekly and was happy with it. UNTIL I started getting pop-ups when I wasn't using Internet Explorer. that's right, I am on a cable modem and I would get pop-ups with just the desk-top open. I down loaded ad-aware and it found 32 items spybot missed and the pop-ups stopped. I removed spybot from my system.

Hi,

I recently read an article someplace about some spammers who have developed a spamming method of using the MSN messenger and AOL's instant messenger program to send you spam. Ironically, the spam they are sending people relates to a pop-up killer software that is designed to stop the type of program they are running. Someone, I don't remember who, was suing these folks because what they are doing amounts to extortion.

I think it really doesn't matter what you run, there will always be some programmer someplace who sees the blocker programs as a challenge and an op to make money. If you want to stay on top of this sort of stuff, subscribe to ZD Net and get their daily e-mails.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike